Cookbook:Beet and Cabbage Stew
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 3 large (or 2 cans) cooked beets, cubed
- 1 cabbage, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 lb meat, cubed
- 1 lb stew bones
- 3 lemons (optional), squeezed
- 2 cans (48 oz) crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup sugar (optional)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- If you are starting with fresh beets, boil them in water for 1.5–2 hours or roast at 350 °F for 90 minutes. When they are soft enough that a fork will go in easily then they are done. Put them in a sink or large bowl full of cool water. Once they are cool pick up a beet and press your thumbs into the skin to start peeling them; sometimes they are not soft enough for this and you just need to cook them longer. If you use canned beets they will be ready right out of the can.
- While the beets are cooking you should start cooking the meat. Place the meat and bones into a large 12-quart stock pot. Add the crushed tomatoes and a similar quantity of water. Stir it up and bring to a boil.
- After the meat has been boiling for between an hour and 90 minutes then you should add the cabbage, garlic, carrots, onion, and celery. Cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the beets and stir well.
- Add as much or as little lemon juice and sugar as you like, to suit your own taste. Cook for 5 more minutes and serve.