Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 recipe spice rub (or use your own recipe)
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 12-ounce (slightly more than a 330ml can) can of beer
- 3-4 pound (1.5 - 2kg) chicken (dressed)
- Poke holes all over chicken to let fat run out during cooking.
- Rub chicken thoroughly with spice rub: inside and out, and then under skin as far as you can reach
- Set aside chicken.
- Remove upper racks from oven.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- When oven preheated, take a healthy drink of the beer, leaving about 9 or 10 ounces.
- Crumble bay leaves into beer, in beer can.
- Insert beer can firmly into chicken cavity.
- Place chicken upright in shallow heatproof pan.
- Bake chicken upright until thickest part is 165°F (73°C) , an hour or an hour and a half.
- When removing chicken from oven, keep upright.
- Rest chicken upright 15 minutes before removing beer can.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- A disposable drip pan will save you a lot of cleanup (and a lot of flares on the outdoor grill).
- This is really best on a charcoal grill, on medium heat.