- For a festive Friday night meal - makes 4 hearty servings
- 2 medium eggplants, approx. 1 lb.(450 g) each
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 lb. (113 g) button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 lb.(225 g) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Cup (240 ml) chopped onions
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 Cup (160 ml) walnuts
- 3 heaping Tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 6-oz. (170 g) can tomato paste
- 2 to 3 small tomatoes, sliced
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise leaving a 1/4-inch (.5 cm) rind
- Scoop out flesh using a curved serrated grapefruit knife and coarsely chop.
- Place chopped eggplant into a large, deep skillet or flat bottomed wok.
- Rub inside of eggplant shells with olive oil and set aside on a baking sheet.
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, garlic, salt, cinnamon, pepper, and olive oil to skillet, and sauté 5 to 10 minutes until soft but still chunky.
- Place eggplant shells under the broiler, and broil 3-inches (7.5 cm) from heat source for 8-12 minutes, until fork tender (Be careful not to burn).
- Remove from heat source and set aside.
- Coarsely grind walnuts and add to skillet along with capers and tomato paste, and mix well.
- Fill eggplant shells with sautéed mixture and top with tomato slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered at 375 F. for 25-35 minutes.