Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cooking: 2½ hours
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 pounds (900 g) Navy, Great Northern, or Pea beans, though black, kidney, or lima beans may be used for a different taste.
- 1 pound (450g) bacon, diced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ¾ cup molasses
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Soak dry beans overnight, or use 4 cans cooked beans.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Stir all ingredients together, then pour into casserole dish, bean pot or Dutch oven.
- Add water from beans, or preferably stock or fresh water. Just enough to barely cover. Canned beans may need less water. Beans will absorb more water as they cook.
- Bake 2½ hours. Check after an hour for moisture level, add more water as needed to keep appropriate moistness. If beans have too much liquid, remove lid and cook a bit longer.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- A slow cooker may be used: cook 2½ hours on High, or 5 hours on Low.