Cookbook:Baby Back Ribs
Jump to navigation Jump to search
There are two methods here: The traditional smoking, and the oven smoking method. Both of them produce mouthwatering, fall-off-the-bone ribs.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 slabs baby back pork ribs (also known as: back ribs, loin ribs, back loin ribs)
- 1/4 cup paprika (if you're doing the oven method, use smoked paprika)
- 2 tbs garlic powder
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 2 tbs cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups tomato paste
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs black peppercorns, cracked
- Several pounds each hickory and applewood chunks, or chips if using oven method
Procedure[edit | edit source]
Oven Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Rub meat side of ribs with this mixture and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place a 1/4 cup each hickory and applewood chunks in the bottom of a roasting pan. Place a rack in the pan and place ribs on the rack.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat until reduced by half. Set aside.
- Cover roasting pan with aluminum foil and place in the center of a 200 degree F oven and cook 6 hours, brushing with sauce every hour.
- Take ribs and remove foil. Brush meat side liberally with sauce and place under a preheated broiler until well browned.
- Slice into 1-rib portions and serve warm with remaining sauce.
Traditional Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Repeat 1st step of oven method.
- Repeat 3rd step of oven method.
- Place enough hickory and applewood into the firebox of your friendly neighborhood smoker to keep the temperature around 200 degrees F.
- Place ribs in smoker and repeat last 8 words of step 4.
- Brush meat side liberally with sauce and place meat side down on a high grill until well browned. Remove and slice into 1 rib portions and serve with remaining sauce.