Cookbook:Potato and Cauliflower Curry (Aloo Gobi)
|Potato and Cauliflower Curry (Aloo Gobi)|
Aloo Gobi (or Gobhi) is a South Asian dish popular in both India and Pakistan. Aloo means potato and Gobi (also spelled Gobhi) means cauliflower. This dish has a prominent role in the movie Bend It Like Beckham. The DVD contains a featurette titled How to cook Aloo gobi. However, the recipe given differs from the following one and the one in the external link below, demonstrating the variety of ways the dish can be prepared. Also, sometimes aloo gobi is made without the tomato.
- 750 g tomatoes, diced or puréed
- 1 big cauliflower cut into chunks
- 4-5 potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes
- 1 lemon
- 4-5 tablespoons of ghee or cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon curcuma (turmeric)
- 2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1-2 tablespoon ground chilli
- 2-4 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 sprig of mint
- Heat the ghee/oil in frying pan, wok or karahi (an Indian utensil specially used for frying purposes)
- Add jeera (cumin seeds) and wait until they turn a light brown color.
- Add the spices (except for garam masala) and the tomatoes.
- When the mixture turns oily, add the vegetables.
- Roast the cauliflower and the potatoes until they turn soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add the garam masala, mint and lemon juice.