Chinese (Mandarin)/Web Resources
Sites in English (beginners)
- Dictionaries / Translators
- CC-CEDICT - CC-BY-SA dictionary. Extensive, compiled by volunteers. Available under GNU licence.
- Chinese Tutor Dictionary - A Chinese dictionary searchable by Pinyin, Hanzi, or English. It is fast and easy to use.
- Google Translate - Surprise, surprise! Has dictionary, pinyin, and example sentences.May not work well when translating long sentences to Chinese.
- Multilingual Chinese Dictionary - A no-frills Chinese dictionary with 9 languages
- nciku - Chinese-English dictionary with handwriting recognition, lots of examples, a text-to-speech system, and other learning materials.
- Rikai.com - A web-mediator that adds mouseover pinyin readings and English meanings to Chinese webpages.
- WrittenChinese.Com Free Chinese-English dictionary. Search results are ranked by frequency of occurrence in everyday Chinese text.
- Zhongwen.com - A Chinese character dictionary and cultural reference. Characters are represented by images, meaning they are still viewable without Chinese fonts. Detailed character trees.
- Mandarin Play - Learn Mandarin Chinese with simple and fun mini-games. The games combine English, Pinyin, Hanzi and audio to help you learn beginner and intermediate Mandarin Chinese in an interactive way.
- ChinesePod - Free Chinese podcasts for beginners on various topics.
- Learn chinese online - 40 lessons courses for beginners.
- Learn to Speak Chinese Online - Learn Mandarin Chinese online for free.
- Mandarin 123 - Site focused on Chinese Mandarin vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, reading and writing.
- HowToSpeakOnline.com - Free grammar, vocabulary and conversation lessons for beginners.
- Melnyks Chinese - Theme-based Chinese Podcasts.
- ZapChinese - Mandarin Chinese audio vocabulary. A large list of useful words in Chinese and an audio file showing how to pronounce them.
- Pinyin reading matters
- Pinyin-English News Summary for learners of Chinese language
- The Problems of Hanzi Application in IT
- The Chairman's Bao - The first online simplified Chinese newspaper, written to HSK levels 3-6+.
- Chinese Tutor Flashcards - Online flashcards that focus on words the learner is having difficulty with.
- The Chinese Outpost - Site focused on Chinese language learning and culture, centered around an "Introduction to Mandarin Chinese" with readable and entertaining units on pronunciation, characters and grammar.
- LearnchineseOK.com - Web's biggest directory of free online resources for learning Mandarin Chinese language
- Mnemosyne - Free, reliable flashcard program. Has special "vocabulary" cards.
- Chinese with Mike - Blogger focused on the Chinese language.
- On-line Chinese Tools - Site with many helpful links for learners, including online dictionaries, character converters and free flashcard programs for learning characters.
- Skype.com - Skype is a freely downloadable program that allows free, VoIP calling. You can find native Chinese speakers looking for language partners via skype at the Mixxer
- University of Melbourne Chinese Studies Virtual Library - Large collection of Chinese-related links, organized by topic.
Sites in Chinese (advanced)
- Project Gutenberg's Chinese Books
- Wikipedia in Chinese
- Yahoo!奇摩字典 - Chinese-English dictionary from Yahoo! for English learners in Taiwan.
- Search engines
- Baidu - Simplified Chinese, The most widely used search engine in mainland China
- Other major websites
- Xinhua - A major official Chinese news agency
- Sina - Web portal
- Sohu - Web portal
- Tencent - Web portal
- NetEase - Web portal
See more at Wikipedia.