- 1 Actual wishes
- 1.1 General workflow
- 1.2 Propagation
- 1.3 Statistics
- 1.4 Project management
- 1.5 Navigation
- 1.6 Communication/Comments
- 1.7 Quality assurance
- 1.8 Filter/Sort/View
- 1.9 Resources
- 1.10 GUI
- 1.11 Keyboard Shortcuts
- 1.12 Collaborative work
- 1.13 Compatibility with other CATs
- 1.14 Import/Export
- 1.15 Others
- 2 Solved issues or workarounds
- 2.1 Issues solved in current memoQ version
- 2.2 Workarounds
- 3 Outdated/Obsolete wishes
For any problem and workaround see also the page CAT-Tools/MemoQ/Tips and Tricks. Please choose the appropriate section to add a wish.
- It would also be good if tags could be deleted at the translator's discretion. As the software now stands, the translator is not given full credit as an intelligent participant. If it really is not possible to delete unwanted tags, it would be nice if they were hidden in the source text as soon as Alt + F8 is pressed. Then the translator can focus on what matters and not be bothered by what doesn't. (Rod Walters)
- Server Administrator, Server projects: Would it be possible to add a status feature here? E.g. in the form of colours that can be given to projects by right-clicking them in the overview pane (for example like the categorize feature in Microsoft Outlook). This would help in the workflow. You could give a project which has been translated but is pending feedback and possible changes from the client the colour red, and then change it to green once the project was completely finanlised. Green would then indicate that project was ready for updating/sending segments to a final/proofread TM. I suspect the possibility to categorize projects according to five different colours would be sufficient. No need to define categories/statuses for each colour; in that way people can use the colours to fit their specific workflow. (ditbal)
- Reset format: a command (and shortcut) to reset a format of segments (bold/italic/underlined)
- Confirm without propagation: a command (and shortcut) to confirm a segment without propagation (if propagation is enabled)
- The settings for auto-propagation should be specific to a project (instead of applying generally, as it is now) // tsca [re] 14:00, 18 July 2008 (UTC)
- Conditional propagation: prompt user if subsequent segment is translated differently, empty, confirmed (like Trados Studio)
- Propagation for comments: an option to propagate comments for repetitions so that a comment would be visible in all identical segments which were propagated
- Include name of analyzed file in Overview/Reports after performing statistics on single file from Translations
- Show statistics history in Statistics window - an option to view previous statistics reports in Statistics window
- Weighted word count
- Automatic copy of statistics in project folder or at least a reminder/confirmation before closing the statistics' windows (T. Rox)
- [Automatic] saving intermediate reports - an option to measure hourly productivity by comparing different reports
- Analysis percentages with decimal places - rounding everything down makes the percentages useless for character/word counts
- Productivity measurement - a tool to measure how many words are translated/proofread per hour.
- Translating time - similar to editing time (for each user role)
- Options for setting up Editing time - inactive mouse, overlaid screen etc.
- Create project template from existing project or several projects (combining resources from them)
- Assign role of translator/reviewer to the whole folder in the structure view
- Remember which folders were collapsed in structure view when re-opening project
- Assign the whole folder in structure view
- Structure view by different attributes: show Structure view not only for folders by also for dates, file formats, translators etc.
- Different profiles for translation and proofreading: an option to switch between proofreading and translating profile
- Automatically open the last project: an option to open automatically the last project
- Grouping and labeling documents in Project Home: an option to label and group document (creating folder structure) for batch tasks and filtering
- Prioritizing of documents: an option to mark different priorities for processing
- A quick way to open original: an option to open original document quickly; the translator often needs to look at the original to see the actual format in the native application since html preview is not perfect for certain files. Now the easiest way, if you are not sure about file path, is to go to "Translations," select document, click "details" panel, copy the import path, go to file explorer, and paste it; which is not very practical.
- Hide/unhide TM/TB/project: an option to hide TM/TB/project having possibility to restore its visibility in resources
- Profiles for creating projects: In general there are too many clicks necessary for creating a new server project. In a profile you could determine the source language, target languages, translator(s), project manager(s), etc. In a "normal" company the source language never changes, so why it has to be selected with every new project. There should also be a checkbox in order to use the file name as the project name, or it would be even better if the project name were defined through variables (project manager initials, date, running number, etc.). (Carsten) - memoQ 2014 has templates for projects
- Password protection for the memoQ application: There should be a native way to password-protect memoQ with options such as simple password protection against children or novice users, and even advanced encryption of confidential projects.
- Bookmarks in order to quickly mark entries (e.g. in order to return quickly to the last edited segment after scrolling up and down in the text) (TilovdB)
- Insert "Rich" Bookmarks in Translation file when several people do several tasks on the same document and on the same PC, allowing later review/proofreading of specific parts. Each BookMark could include information like : Who, did What (translation, proofreading, etc...), on Which part (X segments from A to B, representing Y source words), When, for How Long . This information could also be used later for project accounting purposes (on a larger project, who contributed in how many % to reach the goal) (MartinB)
- Being able to click on hyperlinks to webpages and be sent to the page directly instead of having to highlight the link and copy it into the browser (Anette)
- Go to original segment from translation results: an option to go to the original segment within the same project from translation results (e. g. a translator notices some errors in translation results and need to go to the original segment to correct it). Such feature exists in SDL Passolo.
- Clickable repetition icon: clicking on the repetition icon in the document view allows to filter other repetitions of this segment in the document/project (e.g. show them in view pane).
- Jump to view: an option that is opposite to "jump to" option in view (to go from document to view)
- Easily maximize memoQ from taskbar memoQ is often stuck in the taskbar and refuses to be maximized; even alt+tab is useless. Sometimes the only option is to use Task Manager's "Bring to front." (Noticed in several Windows versions, such as Vista, 7, and 10)
- Saving comments together with translations in TM
Thanks to TMs, translators can save and reuse segment translations. However, when translators write a comment next to a translated segment, they need to type (or copy-paste) the comment manually again if the segment reappears later on in the project. If it were possible to save and reuse the comment together with the segment translation, the translator would save time. Moreover, the translation would be more consistent since the reviewer’s attention would systematically be caught each time the problematic segment appears. (MIPS-CAT)
- Communication add-in for the translation manager
As a translation manager it would be nice to have a communication window always open and always on top. Or put it into the task bar.
If there several projects with documents into several languages, I would like to get an instant notification of a new chat entry or a forum thread. So can answer immediately. (Carsten)
- Communication add-in
- Email notification when somebody posts a message in the forum. Subscribe option for new messages. New posts will be sent to the user's email address which is stored in the user profile on the MemoQ server.
- Possibility to delete messages (Carsten)
- Comments function: possibility to export all comments made to a document (or project) to a file that can be edited and e.g., submitted to the client as queries. (ditbal)
- Notepad to add notes for each project (in most cases to collect and forward them to the client) (T.Rox)
- Status for comment: an option to set a status for comment (accepted, rejected, replied and user-defined lists with different statuses). An option for filter comments by its status
- Tree-like structure for comments
- Show comments in QA results
- A flag for files with comments - a mark for files with comments to see in the file list which files have comments inside (without opening them)
- Extra column for comments - a "comment view" - an option to see comments in a separate column
- Navigation panel in Active comments tab - an option to go to the next/previous commented segments
- Filter comments in Active comments tab - an option to filter comments by different attributes (user, date, category etc).
- Change font size in Active comments tab
- Filter comments by its category (error, warning, information, other)
- Comments for the whole folder in structure view
- Show number of comments in the status bar
- Different number of sentences in source and target": could help in detecting of partially translated segments
- Several tabs "Resolve errors and warnings": currently each new QA closes the previous tab
- Check for unchanged fuzzy matches
- Log for all QA checks and spellchecks: logging of date&time for all checks (to see that the file was checked after the last change)
- Skipping segments which are identical to source in QA: an option to skip segments which are identical to source during QA (except notice "identical to source")
- Differences between translated segment and TM entry: an option to see a differences between translated segment and TM entry. It is very useful when proofreading in memoQ translations which were made externally in other CAT. Some segments in TM could have "approved status" and they should not be changed in translation. This feature would help to track such "illegal" changes
- Check web-addresses: an option to check web-addresses (and recognize them as non-translatable)
- Check ™, ®, ©, *, >, <, ≥, ±, +: an option to check whether both source and target have these characters
- Check acronyms: an option to check acronyms (and recognize them as non-translatable)
- Save sort order in QA results: memoQ always resets a sort order by table column in QA results when you change anything.
- Identification of duplicated punctuation marks: double colon, double semicolon etc.
- Check words before sign ® and TM: ensure that trademarks are not translated
- Recognize chemical formulas
- Detection of imperial measures: imperial measures are usually converted into metrical system so imperial measures in translation should generate a warning.
Reduction of false errors in QA
- Source and target ends with different punctuation - exclude quotes and brackets from this check as it is always a false error
- Group identical spelling errors in QA report: an option to process all identical spelling errors together (skip etc).
- Spellcheck in background: spellcheck takes quite a lot of time but confirmed segments could spellchecked in background to create an instant report.
- Spellcheck all CAPS: an option to check spelling of words which are in all caps (frequency of spelling errors in all CAPS words is rather high).
- Skip the whole segment: an option to skip not only one word but the whole segment during spellchecking. E. g. "Skip segment" button in spellchecker window.
- Skip identical to source segments: an option not to check spelling in segments which are identical to source. Such segments are usually left in a source language and do not need to be checked.
- QA report for spellcheck: right-click menu with options similar to spellchecker window in QA results table
- Improve speed of spell checker (TilovdB)
- Spellcheck TM: even if spellcheck is enabled for QA, memoQ now does not check spelling in TM
- Instant creation of spellcheck report: if spellcheck is done in background, spellcheck QA report could be created immediately
- Consider glossary terms as spellchecked: an option to skip TB entries during spellcheck considering them correct
- Automatically add TB entries to spellchecker dictionary:
- Make end of target segment punctuation equal to source: replace end punctuation mark in the target with the one from source segment
- Autocapitalization for segments starting with tag: autocapitalization currently does not work if a segment starts with tag
- Do not reapply autocapitalization if user undoes autocapitalization by Ctrl+Z
- Smart rules for autocapitalization: do not apply after colon, semicolon or some other punctuation marks
- Autocorrection of multiple spaces
- Autodeletion of spaces at the end of the segment
- Renaming of views: an option to rename views rather then create them a new - this feature will be in the next version of memoQ
- Defining the order of documents when gluing them together: an option to select an order of documents in a view composed of several documents (drag-n-drop would be fine).
- Creating view from selected segments: an option to create view from segments selected in work area via right-click menu
- Refresh view status: an option to refresh status of views (it is currently possible to refresh files only)
- Create view from view: an option to create a view from other views rather than documents
- Creating view from filtered segments: an option to create view from segments filtered in work area via right-click menu (or button on filter panel)
- Creating view by dragging file onto tab "Views"
- Filter segments with Patch Match (fuzzy match repair): they should be checked more careful
- Filter segments "containing numbers": show segments which include at least 1 number to check numbers throughout the text
- Filter "number only" segments and "excluding number only" segments: it is more comfortable to translate without number only segments
- Reapply the last filter: an option to reapply the last filter
- Templates and history for filters: an option to save templates and history for filters to use them by single click
- Filtering segments by formatting: an option to filter segments by present of formatting (contain bold/italics)
- Filtering segments by script: an option to filter segments by script (Latin, Arabic, etc.)
- Filtering segments where target is identical to source: an option to filter segments where target is identical to source (it would be a good complement for QA which could find such segments)
- Filtering documents by its status in Project Home: an option to filter documents by different status and properties (extension, degree of completeness, translated, proofed, size, name)
- Inverting filter: an option to invert filter (to see hidden by filter segments and hide visible segments)
- Filter all respective repetitions in the project (or file) by clicking on the repetition icon of segment
- Filter/sort segments in view by file name: memoQ 2013 now shows file names in views; it would be useful to filter/sort segments in view by file name
- Ask to restore filter when reopening file: an option to restore filter if file was closed when filter was used
- Forbidden segments: an option to mark segments in TM as forbidden (similar to forbidden terms). It allows to leave such segments in TM for tracking purposes but exclude them from pretranslation.
- Select TMs for pretranslation: an option to select TM for pretranslation in Pretranslate window (now I have to change TMs for the whole project)
- Number and punctuation differences should be distinguished in pretranslation: This can be very useful if the translator is pressed for time, and the document has many matches with minor punctuation differences, such as extra spaces. Unfortunately, the "good match" option in Pretranslate makes no distinction between number and punctuation differences, which is crucial; while the translator should reasonably be able to automatically confirm 99% matches with only minor punctuation differences, 99% matches with number differences must be revised one by one to check whether memoQ has replaced numbers correctly. A simple checkbox such as "Ignore minor punctuation differences" next to the "exact match" radio button in Pretranslate dialog should solve this problem.
- More options for TM-driven segmentation: such as an option to join a fourth and even a fifth segment (which can help in malformed documents with too many misplaced line breaks), and an option to perform only joining or only splitting for more control over segmentation
- Subsegment confirming mode: when importing an Excel sheet on a cell-by-cell basis using the option "import linebreaks as inline tags," and we have the memoQ segment "Paragraph1 <br> Paragraph2," it is useful to be able to confirm three translation units at once with the confirm shortcut depending on the <br> tag location: (1) the whole memoQ segment, (2) Pargraph1 subsegment, and (3) Paragraph2 subsegment. These should result in more future matches, and better fragment assembly.
- Fixing the never stopping loading circle in corner of results pane noticed in memoQ 2015 7.8.52; it is very annoying for someone used to seeing it stop/disappear at scan completion in earlier versions.
- Save segments with tracked changes in TM: show tracked changes in TM results to facilitate consistent editing
- Show differences between translation in TM and document in compare control: to facilitate consistent editing of similar segments
- Ranking of TMs like TBs: an option to rank TMs like TBs in memoQ 2013 R2
- Penalizing all TMs except primary one: an option to add penalties to all TMs except primary one (it is easier than add penalties for each TM separately)
- Transferring context information between TM: moving context data between TM to get 101% matches.
- Colour-coding to distinguish between exact and fuzzy matches in the Translation Results window and in the translation grid after e.g. pretranslation. (Grzegorz Harbaszewski)
- Merging 2 or more TMs: an option to merge 2 or more TMs with one command taking into account meta-data (without import/export by mean of tmx)
- Locked segments in TM: an option to protect some segments from editing in TM.
- Show penalties in meta-information area: an option to show TM's penalties in meta-information area.
- Plug-in for using Trados TMs directly: an option to connect to Trados TMs.
- Select several TMX for import - it is not possible to select more than 1 TMX-file to import into TM
- Highlight segment attributes in Meta-information box - highlight segment attributes that match the current project (it will help promptly recognize TM segments created in the current project or which are very similar to current project). Ideally it should be customizable to highlight segments made within particular time/date range etc.
- TM maintenance - automatically delete number-only segments from TM
- Show which TBs and TMs are associated to projects: When moving or deleting a TB or TM it would be convenient to know in which projects the TB or TM is used. (Carsten)
- Elimination of duplicates (same target, same source) from termbases and translation memory (David Turner) - current memoQ version can identify duplicates but can not clean them automatically
- Marking matches that require only deletion of contiguous text: Sometimes a match ranked down the list is actually better than matches ranked higher because it has contiguous "blue" text and is more accurate; such matches (with contiguous "blue" text) should be marked clearly, e.g. with a "+" next to the match rate, when they are not the first on the list.
- Revert patch matches: button/short cut/right click menu to revert patch matches and get "normal" TM matches
- Block some words from Muses in Predictive typing: some incorrect variants are rather annoying when you have to delete them again and again.
- Turn off Predictive typing when typing in the middle of word: if you need to correct a spelling error in the middle of word, predictive typing tries to insert the whole word. Such behavior is confusing.
- Time delay for predictive typing: an option to set up a delay for displaying prompts
- Exclude from predictive typing words which are already typed in the segment
- Use content of active document/project for predictive typing: it is strange that memoQ does not offer words from segments translated above.
- Turn off predictive typing when the word is mostly typed: predictive typing is not required for short words or when 1-3 letters are left
- Predictive typing for numbers + units: it is logical to offer not only number but number + % sign (or localized units - mg, m, kg etc)
- Turn off case-sensitive predictive typing: predictive typing currently does not work if you start typing word with capital letter which is entered into the glossary uncapitalized.
- Predictive typing for Machine Translation suggestions: it would be great if Predictive Typing could suggest full sentences, phrases, and words from various MT resources. Of course, the user could switch on/off the function.
- Train Muse in background: this task could be done in background
- Predictive typing for proper names: an incredibly useful feature, which would prevent translators from making spelling mistakes in proper names. Of course it wouldn't be faultless, but could be triggered by words starting with capital letters in a sentence.
- Predictive typing/autopick for number ranges, formulas etc: it is more handy to insert ranges (or other group of numbers) rather than individual numbers
- Show resources used to create Muses in their properties
- A possibility to add extra columns
- Define the order of the columns (e.g. Subject > column 3, Domain > column 1, Note > column 2, etc.)
- Save the export setting so the user doesn't have to select, deselect, order, select TXT or CVS, or whatever setting the next time she exports.
- Easy access to the term base for terminologists. In our case, terminologists are marketing people and developers. Neither of them is interested in foreign languages, translation memories, alignment functions, translation projects, etc. They just want to
- enter and/or release terms in the source language
- look up and/or export terms of any language.
- Web based access to the terms (read-only would be sufficient for our needs). At the moment we use the Typo3 extension sg_dictionary which is enough. See http://www.rohloff.de/de/info/woerterbuch/english/index.html for an implementation at Rohloff (sorry, our dictionary access is password protected). (Carsten)
- Ignore accents (e.g. recognize "categorie" for TB entry "catégorie" and "habitaciones" for "habitación" (Torsten)
- A thing DéjàVu never offered, as an alternative for fuzzy term recognition: morphological reduction/recognition (language specific). First language to start with, (of course ;-)): German - So: Dictionary has 'Baum', in the text 'Baumes' (Genitiv), Baumes is recognized as Baum+es. (Transit offers this.) (Hans List)
- MemoQ now stores it's dictionaries in a text file (we've discussed this), should be moved to a MySQL or MS Jet. DéjàVu users speak of big mama when they talk about terminology databases of 100 000 entries or more. They all use large databases that should work fast. (Hans List)
- Context sensitive terminology recognition. Some kind of 3 dimensional terminology database. Example: If computer and Apple are in one segment, do not translate Apple (or: translate it with Apple). If Apple and Tree are in one segment, translate it with 'green fruit growing on a tree'. I know subject codes can help, but my suggestion is nicer. (Hans List)
- Selecting TB entries to be exported. Instead of exporting the complete TB content, there could be a functionality to specify selected entries to be exported, for instance, all entries where the subject is "Finances" or "Project management". Such a functionality could also be helpful to quickly create a glossary intended for clients. A termbase is mainly intended to assist translators, but all terms would not be useful in a glossary. If I can mark some entries as "Glossary" and extract these specific entries, the creation and update process of client glossaries would be greatly enhanced. (Ariane)
- Ability to add new fields, as for instance "Source" (F. Vidal)
- Possibility of viewing and changing all termbases during translation. Right-click on term in results pane and change destination of term. Edit term in termbase and see a list of all termbases to choose from. (Anette)
- It would also be very useful to be able to filter on things such as "case sensitivity" and "prefix matching" and "domain" ... so that we can fix things like double entries in our term bases, and edit/maintain them... That is, filtering on columns in the actual window that opens when we click on "edit" a term base, like in a spreadsheet, rather than having to use the confusing: Term Base -> Filter -> Filter and sorting interface, which I find rather unintuitive. (wordbook.nl)
- Preferred terms: an option to mark a term as preferred. It could have a special icon in translation results. A preferred term could hide all other variants.
- Join 2 terms entries via right click menu in translation results: currently it is not possible.
- Being able to move a term from one termbase to another termbase in one click (Anette)
- Add terms to TB from concordance window
- Open TB for editing with double click - it does not work
- arabterm.org plugin - English, French, German, Arabic
- Show all variants of terms from TB when mouse is over highlighted term: currently only 1 variant is shown.
- Ignore a list of stop words: They could be present in a term base converted from a full dictionary that has such words that the user cannot easily locate and delete. This could be an extension of the similar function used when extracting terms.
- Indicating the source of term translation in the translation grid. The translator should be able to set an abbreviation for each termbase, which can be displayed next to the term translation in the tooltip. This way the translator will not have to waste time by clicking in the translation result pane to view the source of the term translation.
- Distinct colors for different TMs. Suppose that there are two TMs available in a given translation project. While TM1 is only advisory, the terminology of TM2 has to be observed. In the source part of the translation grid, (sequences of) words belonging to TM2 are highlighted in red, (sequences of) words belonging to TM1 are highlighted in blue. This would ensure that translators do not overlook any important, fixed translation. Additionally translators would save time (cf. previous wish "no time wasted with looking for the source of the term translation"). (MIPS-CAT)
- Exclude some terms from predictive typing - check-box "Exclude from predictive typing" on tab "Usage" of term editing window (some terms are for reference only and should not be inserted into translation)
- Option to use mobile user agent: an option to use a mobile user agent, similar to the function of the "User Agent Switcher" add-on for Firefox; this enables loading light versions of many websites, i.e. faster and more efficient web search.
- Option to load only one xpath: an option to easily define one xpath for loading, which removes distracting elements from webpages, and makes web search more stable. Defining the xpath should be easy, as in popular web scraping software.
- Adding arabterm.org technical dictionary: English, French, German, Arabic
- Adding Librairie du Liban Publishers dictionaries: several premium dictionaries are offered for free, involving the languages Arabic, English, French, German, and Spanish. The pairs with most results are English <-> Arabic, and French <-> Arabic. The URL is http://www.ldlp-dictionary.com.
- Ability to set up MT correction rules: an option to set up simple and complex rules for the correction of MT results. This feature can be very useful when the source is repetitive, which may lead to repetitions of the same error in the MT results. e.g., a simple rule such as "always replace bishop with ceilings" can greatly improve the English MT result of an Arabic construction document since the Arabic word "أسقف" can mean either "ceilings" or "bishop." For complex rules, regex could be used.
Full support of high resolution displays (4K, 2160p, 3840 x 2160)
- Fix of current bugs with UI: Find & Replace, edit of comments, reports etc. A lot of UI elements are not usable now.
Translation memories panel
- Customization of columns shown for TM properties : configure the number of shown columns for TM properties (project, client, domain etc). Now they are shown below for selected TM only.
- Hide/show meta information: to configure which meta-data are to be shown (moving of separation bar is not flexible enough)
Translation result window
- Setting up the number of visible rows in translation results - only 2 rows are visible now. In some cases it is more convenient to see 3-4 rows with less number of hits
- Translation results should have special icons for translator, reviewer 1 and reviewer 2
- An option to remove the src segment from the results pane, and display it only once with comparison info in the translation grid. Colors should be studied extensively to solve issues such as highlighting a term and indicating that it is different from, or an addition to the selected hit. Complete freedom in dragging and dropping interface elements may be required so that the user may juxtapose the src segment with the hit.
- Indicating with a caret (‸) where to insert words in hit src segment in the translation result pane; hovering over the caret should show missing text in a tooltip. This way the translator will have a complete picture of required modifications: blue for what should be deleted, red for what should be changed, and (‸) for the point where something should be inserted.
- Option "Omit embedded codes" when retrieving fragments from "Translation Results" (TilovdB)
- Omit tags when copy/paste from translation results manually - strange symbols are now inserted which should be deleted manually
- Clear all tags from source segment - this can save time and effort when dealing with malformed documents, and is much better than modifying the original, reimporting, and then x-translating. A warning message should appear by default when the translator uses this feature.
- Tag cleaning options in filter configuration - there should be options for minimizing tags caused by the complex formatting applied by OCR and PDF conversion tools, similar to the options offered by TransTools Tag Cleaner, and the CLEAN function offered by MS Excel.
- Preview window should have an option to show ONLY source text, i.e., not both src + increasingly more trgt as you work your way down through the translation, which can be confusing, esp. when src and trgt have opposite directions (wordbook.nl)
- Preview window should have an option to darken cell borders for Excel sheet preview; clearer cell borders help in segment merging/splitting decisions.
- Better rendering of bidi texts is needed, esp. when rtl text has a combination of numbers, punctuation, and ltr text. (This improvement is also needed for grid view.)
- Switch between source and target in file preview
- Show the number of locked segment in the status bar
- Font adaptation similar to Trados Studio - font color, size etc (not only bold, italic and underlined)
- Font contrast adaptation similar to Trados Studio - contrast font hurts eyes
Options and Settings
- Rethinking and simplifying options and settings - e.g. instead of showing options for resources in three locations (namely, Options > Default Resources, Resource Console, and Project Home > Settings), Default Resources could be incorporated into the Resource Console, Options renamed to Universal Options (i.e. for old and new projects), and Settings under Project home renamed to Project Settings.
- Drag & drop for opened document tabs - it is not possible to change order of opened tabs with translatable documents
- Support of high-resolution displays - 4K and 2K displays are becoming more popular but memoQ still does not offer comfortable work with high-resolution displays
- Alternating row colors according to Excel row: e.g. white for segments from Excel row 1, gray for segments from Excel row 2, then white for row 3, etc.; this way the context of each segment will be much clearer.
- Ability to resize dialogues in the: Edit term base entry dialogue, such as: Definition, Usage, Notes. (Michael J.W. Beijer)
- It would be nice to have the number of words not started in the Project Status bar at the bottom of the screen. [Requested Nov 2007 by Karin Adamczyk]
- "Projects" button in "Project Manager" (under "Settings") which gives direct access to other projects (TilovdB)
- Edit TUs directly in concordance window (T.Rox)
- Being able to use MemoQ on two screens (Anette)
- Make all the File Filter settings available via Tools > Options (Thomas V.)
- Provide a GUI to edit the smart quote replacements (Thomas V.)
- Separate Translator editor area into 2 zones by horizontal bar: to see 2 different parts of document (like Adobe Reader or MS Word)
- Show the number of repetitions next to the repetition icon - it is often not clear whether it is a repetition within project or document when you need to change it after propagation
- Add regex option to search & replace - it is very useful for structured and repetitive documents, and may save hours of work depending on the size of the document. The option should be unchecked or hidden by default so as not to confuse those unfamiliar with regex.
- Add "keep confirmed segment status" checkbox to search & replace - It should always be unchecked by default; the translator must tick it for each operation at his/her own discretion.
- Option to override Goto next settings - While Search & Replace is open, and after modifying and confirming a segment, the translator should have the option to jump to next instance instead of the segment type set in Goto next dialog with Automatically jump after confirmation checked.
- Better display of bidi texts in translation grid - When the source is rtl, such as Arabic and Hebrew, memoQ indiscriminately enforces rtl direction/alignment, even if the segment has only Latin characters or numbers and is an independent paragraph. This brute enforcement results in misplacement of punctuation, such as parentheses etc., and numbers; the translator often has to open the original to make sense of a segment.
- Add keyboard shortcuts for concordance window (for: Move hits up and down, insert selected) (T.Rox)
- Move word(s) left/right keyboard shortcut as an editing workaround for MQ's lack of drag'n'drop (cut selection (word if insertion point), move left/right, paste, retain selection for next move). (David Turner, May 2008)
- A shortcut key for Export Active Document (Anette)
- Ctrl+Shift+L in QA tab: an option to use a shortcut for lock/unlock segments in QA results tab
- Ability to Quickly Add terms to specific term bases with customisable shortcuts. (wordbook.nl)
- Shift+F3 in Add new term window: an option to change case in Add new term window by using shortcut Shift+F3
- P2P protocol to share TMs and TBs (and other resources): affordable solution to share TMs which are stored on the main PC which allows teamwork
Compatibility with other CATs
- Extract TM from TIPP: an option to extract TM from TIPP to create tmx-export or project TM (and use memoQ features like concordance with this TM)
- Highlight differences for TM matches from XLIFF:doc: now all matches look the same way
SDL Trados Studio
- Compatibility of tracked changes in memoQ and Trados Studio: more and more clients needs review of SDLXLIFF in tracked changes. So it is impossible to use memoQ for this growing number of projects (20-30% of my jobs)
- Preserve match % in exported SDLXLIFF: it is not convenient to review in Trados Studio the SDLXLIFF files which were translated in memoQ as segments do not have match %.
- Import/Export of Transit files, I think (when autoassemble/ebmt is covered) that this will be the crucial feature for MemoQ, the 'killer application thing'. Never understood why Atril doesn't offer this, I believe it's because of old ties. (Hans List)
- VBA-like macro language that allows us to communicate with the interace (pop-up dialogs etc.) and create our own goodies that we can share via this WIKI. My suggestion: Basic Script is Visual Basic for Application™ compatible language built on top of popular SAX Basic engine. The Basic Script comes with powerful editor (features syntax highlighting, tool tips), debugger, dialog editor, language reference help and other tools necessary for comfortable scripts development. Basic Script features more commands then native macro language and allows user to write more complex scripts: use OLE, DDE, create dialogs, use mathematical functions and much more. (Hans List)
- Would be great if you could just select all the TMs and TBs in one swift click (Anette, August 2010)
- Exclude from import number-only segments: an option not to import number-only segments
- Import of files into Corpora via drug&drop: an option to add documents to Corpora by drug&drop from Windows Explorer (or any other file manager)
- Automatic use of Process TRADOS TMX for best results in memoQ: it is strange to check this option manually when memoQ determined that TMX was created by Trados
- Keep table direction: an option not to switch table direction when src and trgt languages have opposite directions; this can make for easier comparison between the original and the translation.
- Importing an Excel spreadsheet on a “cell-by-cell” basis: a clear and effective option should be available in the Excel filter configuration, such as "No segmentation for cell contents," or "Import on cell-by-cell basis." The option “Import linebreaks as inline tags” is not very clear, and still results in some segmentation of cell contents due to punctuation; in addition, even when "empty" segmentation rules are used together with the mentioned option, some segmentation of individual cell contents is observable.
- Ability to edit and delete portions and matches directly in the Translation Results window (David Turner)
- After running the "Resolve errors and warnings function", you are still taken to a blank "Resolve errors and warnings" window even if there are no errors to correct. It would be better to have a "No errors or warnings" message. (David Turner)
- Enable "Add all" button in "Mark selected ranges" (XLS-Import) to select multiple tab sheets subsequently (TilovdB)
- AutoAssemble and EBMT. (Hans List)
- Working area - moving windows from inside MemoQ (like translator's grip, automatic translation results or translation preview) out of MemoQ (for example to another screen) - Grzegorz Kowalski
- An "Align from here" function, that would align from a certain part of the text, ignoring previous text. Also being able to edit the text would be a great leap (Mat Holway)
- A vocabulary collecting all the file extensions and invented jargon that stand between user comprehension and effective utilization of the expensive product. For instance, I am still trying to discover the file extension used for memory files. (interpreter)
- "SDL will connect all its translation tools through open APIs and enabling Translators using Trados to easily connect to TDA and benefit from industry-wide sharing of TMs". (www.tausdata.org) I hope MemoQ will consider implementing something similar. (Rod Walters)
- Being able to export all translations in a project at the same time (actually a function that used to be there) (Anette and Tine)
- Being able to export a document without forced automatic correction of tag errors; this is useful if the translator is sure s/he has ignored useless/incorrect tags in a malformed document, and does not want to revise this automatic "correction."
- Embedded troubleshooter, or at least tips for solving most common errors. e.g. When a user tries in vain to use Export (Stored Path) to export a document that was imported from an xliff from another computer, why not suggest to try Export (Dialog)?
- Option to clear only src script from target either in "Search & Replace" or "Clear Translations" dialogs. This could be very helpful after "Copy Source" into multiple segments.
Solved issues or workarounds
For any problem and workaround see also the page CAT-Tools/MemoQ/Tips and Tricks.
Issues solved in current memoQ version
- Customization of buttons on panel - current memoQ version has QuickAccess tab
- Delete all comments in a file/view - current memoQ version does it
- Drag & drop for folders: an option to import files by drag & drop of folders
- Display file extensions: (and maybe Windows-file-type-icons) in Project Manager (TilovdB)
- Better compatibility with SDLXLIFF generated by Studio 2014: Studio can not open and clean SDLXLIFF generated in Studio 2014 and translated in memoQ
- Ribon stretchable interface - aka MS Office 2010 ribon
- Copying projects: In most cases a new project is similar to an existing project: project manager, translator, source language, target language, client, etc. So copying a project makes sense (Carsten) - templates are available in current memoQ version
- Show QA warnings in view pane
- Editing the source: Since there are often mistakes in source texts, it would be convenient to be able to correct the source on the fly. Otherwise, wrong source text is enshrined in the memory.
- Reduce clutter in Translation Results window (numbers, number of fuzzy matches, etc. (David Turner)
- Find & Replace - adding option with ability to find a source string only in confirmed/edited segments (T. Rox)
- A possibility to add pictures and to link pictures (pictures may exist in a media asset management system or on the web site of a company)
- An alignment function for importing word lists or adding a language
- Export functions
- Project dashboard to have an overview of running projects (T.Rox) - current memoQ version has overview of projects
- Tabular report for spellchecking: spellchecking gives a tabular report with summary of errors. It could have a design similar to QA report and have different columns. It could be placed on a separate tab in QA results. It would save time when spellchecking a large document (doing it in a background)- memoQ 2014 has structure view for files
- Hide common file path: an option to hide in Import/Export path column on Project Home tab file path which is common for all files - memoQ 2014 has structure view for files
- Saving the TB content to Word or PDF (or another format), to automate and speed up the creation of glossaries.(Ariane)
- Termbase compatibility to the TBX standard format. It will be nice, if MemoQ were able to import and export files with the TBX standard termbase exchange format. (Paul Bouvier)
- Being able to quickly find double entries in the TB or just a function that prevents one or more terms from being added more than once to the same TB (A. Jakobsen)
- New projects: For us as a company, the source language never changes. The target languages are fixed. Only once in a while we will add a new target language. It would be nice if one could: 1. prefill the fields when creating a new project (e.g. saved settings from last project, so the French translator is already selected when creating a French project) 2. Hide target languages you don't need; e.g., deselect languages in a global settings dialog so they don't show up when creating a new project, term base, etc.
- support for document formats:
- Preferred TB: an option to mark TB as preferred. It could have a special icon and higher priority in translation results and QA (e. g. client's glossaries which should be strictly followed).
- Remember selected languages when directly editing a term base
Source language should always be selected. The second language should be remember from the last editing session. (Carsten)
- Term base: terms show up even if they don't have a translation
Scenario: The project manager defines new terms and releases them. During translation the terms show up as not yet translated. (Carsten)
- Hide languages
- Formatting/adding/inserting of bold, italics and underlined is fine (great), but for a technical translator supscript and superscript are necessary too (a lot of m², m³, m-1 etc. in technical texts). (Hans List)
- Set the language of exported documents to the target language (instead of leaving the original source language setting). Currently 100% of the text in exported doc files is underlined in red. (tsca)
- Delete term from TB via right click menu in translation results: currently one needs to do several steps for it.
- Identification of duplicated words: like MS Word does it
- Filter segments by change date and user: an option to filter only those segments translated e.g. by user XY on 1/1/2012 so as to allow proofreading of segments actually translated by particular person
- Reply to comment: an option to reply to comment (each comment should be signed by user name)
- Add new words via right-click menu: an option to add an unknown word to dictionary via right-click menu.
- Import filter to import Trados(TM)-TMs in txt format. (T.Rox) - can be resolved with PlusToyz, XBench or Olifant.
- Add sublanguages for Dutch (TilovdB) - Version 2.2 does this job (Belgium and Netherlands).
- Special characters - This function is available in the most recent version, see menu Edit → Insert symbol.
- Include spaces in character count (Grzegorz Harbaszewski)
- View: All except locked rows and View: Locked rows (TilovdB) - memoQ filter can do it in the current version
- 'Case sensitive term recognition'. Some won't use it, but for languages like German it is very useful (the Verb 'schrauben' is translated different from the noun 'Schrauben' (plural)). (Transit offers this, but it's implementation has severe bugs.) (Hans List)
- Larger or adjustable font for the Translation Results area. [Requested Nov 2007 by Karin Adamczyk]
Allow keeping only the last translations for every segment.
- DVX cannot perform this trick (neither can Transit, Trados does it, when re-importing an exporting TM). (Hans List)
- See the solution Gábor Ugray provided under CAT-Tools/MemoQ/Tips and Tricks!
Auto correct as you type.
- Current workaround is to use PhraseExpander, PhraseExpress, Texter, AutoHotkey or similar (Requested Nov 2007 by Karin Adamczyk) - done in current memoQ version
Automatic insertion of exact/best matches from TM
- Pretranslation should do the job (can be configured in different ways) (Grzegorz Harbaszewski)
Hide target languages you don't need
- Edit the LangInfo.xml file and comment out or delete the languages you don't need. You can use Notepad or an XML editor, your choice. Note: Be sure to save a copy of your edited file in a safe place, because a program update will overwrite it.
- The file is found here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MemoQ\LangInfo.xml
Workaround by Gregory - confirmed by Gábor Ugray of Killgray on the MemoQ2 list: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MemoQ2/message/2009.
Shortcut: delete entire contents in current translation segment
- Current workaround is to use PhraseExpander, PhraseExpress, Texter, AutoHotkey, or similar (TilovdB)
- Switching between different tag view: an option to switch between different tag views (in-line/memoQ tags) while saving all segments intact without "real" re-import. - current memoQ version supports only 1 type of tags
- Export comments for TTX-files - TTX is an outdated file format