CAT-Tools/DéjàVu X/DOC / RTF format
How to prepare Word files before import[edit | edit source]
In many cases it is advisable to prepare Word files, in order to avoid a number of well-known problems. The following is a little check-list that can be used as a guideline. (This list is based on material from one of the excellent courses run by Judy Ann Schoen )
- Accept all changes and switch off track-changes mode.
- Delete all comments.
- Remove embedded graphics, logos, icons etc. from headers and footers.
- Delete graphics and text fields that are located close to the document edge.
- Remove inline graphics using the macro ImagesOutIn by Miri Ofek (available from the yahoogroups website of the dejavu-l list: )
- Watch out for spaces with different formatting than the rest of the text. They can lead to excessive codes in the DV project.
- Switch off the auto-recognition of the language.
- In severe cases, where the Word document won't import or export or when there is an excessive number of codes, try to save as RTF or open and save using OpenOffice.
- In hopeless cases, save the Word doc as plain text (*.txt) and apply the formatting manually (and cleanly) after translation.
- Switch off the syllable division.
- Remove nested groupings.