Basic Algebra/Introduction to Basic Algebra Ideas/The Ideas of Algebra
Algebra is a way of working with numbers and signs to answer a mathematics problem (a question using numbers). You use Algebra in life.
It answers, for example, questions like these:
If I have 10 coins and need 25 coins to get a book, how many more coins do I need to get the book?
If you have 6 bottles of milk and you drink 2 bottles in a day, how many days will your milk last?
If you start running a race at a speed of 10 kilometers an hour, and your friend starts running 10 minutes later at a speed of 15 kilometers an hour, when will your friend catch up to you?
Algebra helps answer questions when building houses, making food, and doing science work.
This book will help you learn how to do mathematics using Algebra. It has chapters (parts of the book) with lessons (parts of the chapter about one idea).
A lesson has five parts:
- Vocabulary - lists special words you need for the lesson.
- Lesson - explains a new idea and how to use this idea.
- Example Problems - demonstrates the steps to complete problems using the new idea.
- Practice Games - provides entertaining challenges in which you complete math problems.
- Practice Problems - You practice your skills while completing problems.