Policy Debate/Stock Issues
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
The meat of a policy debate comes from the stock issues. To easily remember the stock issues, debaters often use the acronym "SHITS."
- How significant is the problem that you are trying to remedy through your interpretation of the resolution?
- What is the harm itself? Are people dying? Is the economy in recession?
- What is inherent in the status quo that prevents your problem from already being solved?
- Does your case fall within the topic? Does your case meet the parameters of the resolution?
- Does your plan actually solve the problem?