Handbook of Management Scales/Networking ability
Networking ability (alpha = 0.87)
The conceptualization and measurement of the political skill construct was examined and evidence was validated for the Political Skill Inventory (PSI). The results of three investigations, involving seven samples, are reported that demonstrate consistency of the factor structure across studies, construct validity, and criterion-related validity of the PSI. Four key dimensions are identified in the organizational politics literature: social astuteness, interpersonal influence, networking ability, and apparent sincerity.
Using the following 7-point scale, please place the number on the blank before each item that best describes how much you agree with each statement about yourself (1 = strongly disagree, ..., 7 = strongly agree):
- I spend a lot of time and effort at work networking with others.
- I am good at building relationships with influential people at work.
- I have developed a large network of colleagues and associates at work whom I can call on for support when I really need to get things done.
- At work, I know a lot of important people and am well connected.
- I spend a lot of time at work developing connections with others.
- I am good at using my connections and network to make things happen at work.