Cookbook:Steamed Sweet Rice
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Steamed sweet rice is used for our Tri-colored Autumn Rice Balls.
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) sweet glutinous rice (mochi gome)
- Place sweet glutinous rice in a medium bowl.
- Wash rice thoroughly in cool water, rinsing and repeating until water is clear, drain, then return rice to bowl.
- Add 3 cups (720ml) water.
- Soak 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain well and spread rice evenly in a round, 8 or 9 inch (20cm), shallow baking pan and add 1/3 cup (80ml) water.
- In a wok bring about 4 cups (950ml) water to a boil over medium high heat.
- Place a steamer tray in the wok.
- Cover the pan of rice and place on the tray over the boiling water.
- Steam for 30 minutes. If rice is not tender, sprinkle with 2 or 3 tablespoons of water and steam it 5 minutes more.
- When tender, remove steamer tray from wok.
Makes about 3 cups.