From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 Lb okra, washed (remove tips and heads and slice into ¼ - ½ inch wide pieces)
- 4-5 medium tomatoes, diced
- ½ medium-large yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 stalks celery, sliced or diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, sliced or diced
- butter (1 stick/½ Lb/113 g)
- Salt, pepper, etc. to taste
- Saute onion, celery, and bell pepper in butter until soft over medium heat, adding garlic to saute shortly before the onion is soft.
- Add okra and tomatoes. Stir a few times to incorporate. If the mixture seems a bit dry, add a small amount of water.
- Simmer over medium heat until the okra is no longer sticky and stringy. (The okra will change to a darker green color.)
- Serve over rice or freeze to use in your next gumbo.