Cookbook:Mexican Rice Pilaf
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
There's a lot of Mexican flavors in this dish, like tequilla, Mexican oregano, chile powder, habanero chiles, tomato paste, and rice.
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup tequilla
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 habanero chiles, stemmed
- 1 tbs dried Mexican oregano
- Rinse rice with cold water until water runs clear. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add rice and cook until rice turns golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine tequilla, broth, tomato, salt, oregano, and pepper. Pour over rice and bring to a boil. Add bay leaves and habanero chiles.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until rice is desired tenderness. Remove bay leaves and chiles. Serve warm.