From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 head white cabbage
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼–½ cup (about 50-100ml) cider vinegar (optional)
- If adding cider vinegar, add it to the mayonnaise and mix together well.
- Slice or shred the cabbage, as coarsely or finely as desired.
- Slice the onion thinly.
- In a large bowl, mix cabbage and onion together with mayonnaise.
- Set aside to allow the flavours to merge, at least 20 minutes but preferably for a couple of hours.
Notes, tips and variations
- Savoy cabbage can be used instead of white cabbage
- other vegetables can be added to the coleslaw for greater variety, including:
- Some people prefer to sweeten the dressing by adding up to 2 tablespoons of sugar to the mayonnaise and vinegar
- Spices can be added to the dressing to "liven it up" - e.g. ground black pepper, celery seeds