Bua Loi or Thai Rice Balls in Coconut Milk
- 3 cups (700g) glutinous rice flour
- 1.5 teaspoons pandan essence
- 4 cups (950ml) coconut cream
- 2 cups (480g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
- 3 eggs (optional)
- Mix the rice flour with enough water to make a stiff paste. The pandan essence should be added to the water before mixing with the rice flour. Knead well and then form pea-sized balls.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, toss in the balls and remove when they float to the surface. Drain.
- Bring half the coconut cream to a boil, stirring constantly to prevent it from separating, then add the flour balls.
- When the mixture returns to a boil, remove from heat and stir in the remaining coconut cream.
- Serve as dessert in small bowls. Thais often add sweet corn kernels to the final product.
If serving this dish with eggs, in a separate saucepan bring water to a boil and reduce heat, crack eggs one at a time into the water. When eggs are done, remove from water and set aside. One egg should be added to each bowl prior to serving.