Cookbook:Breaded Fried Oysters
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 pint shucked large oysters, cleaned and dried
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup cream
- 2 cups fine bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, to fry
Serves 4 as an entrée, or 8 as an appetizer
- Take the cleaned oysters and place them on a clean towel and dry.
- Beat the eggs and cream together, and place in a shallow bowl.
- Combine the bread or cracker crumbs with the salt, pepper, and cayenne. Place in a shallow bowl or on a plate
- With a fork dip each oyster individually in the egg and lay them on the cracker, and with the back of a spoon pat the cracker close to the oyster; lay them an a dish, and so continue until are done.
- Heat the oil in a frying-pan, the amount of oil will vary with the cooking method used. Deep fry, pan fry, or sauté the oysters in the pan, but do not crowd them; cook in batches if needed. Fry quickly a light brown on both sides; a 1 or 2 minutes a side should be enough. Serve hot.
The information in this module was taken from the public domain 1881 Household Cyclopedia and modernized by Wikibooks editors.