Betty's Salad is a regional, Midwest salad created by Betty Timko and featured as a menu item at her restaurant, Timko's Soup and Such, in Toledo, Ohio. The restaurant was located in a brick building at the northwest corner of Sylvania and Douglas Roads of the Devaux Village strip mall in West Toledo . After Betty died, the restaurant closed, and her signature salad dressing is still produced and distributed at regional grocery stores.
Salad and Salad Dressing Ingredients
Salad Ingredients Layer salad ingredients in order listed below.
- Half package spinach
- 6 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 can bean sprouts, drained
- 1-2 cans water chestnuts, drained and sliced (optional, depending on the recipe you follow)
- 1 pound fried bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup salad oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Salt to taste, or 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup catsup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 small to medium sized onion
Mix dressing in blender and pour over salad.
Keep all ingredients refrigerated.