Ingredients (for 5 people)
- 1 Beef heart
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ of a cup ground spicy red chili
- 2 cups of brown vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of achiote (annatto)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Place all the above ingredients, other than the heart, in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Clean the heart, removing all fat. Cut into bite size cubes. Place the heart pieces into the marinade mixture and leave to marinate for about 10 hours or overnight. The heart should be completely covered.
- After marinating, insert meat on skewers. At this stage if desired , some additional ingredients such as green pepper or red pepper (capsicum) or corn-on-cob (cut to a similar size to the heart, may be also inserted on the skewers.)
- The skewered heart should then be cooked on a barbecue grill, turning frequently and brushing with the marinade mix. When they are well done they should be served immediately.
Description / variations
Anticuchos, is one of the most popular dishes in Peru. It is often sold by street vendors and accompanied by corn-on-the-cob and portions of cold boiled potato with a spot of chili sauce. Those whose tastes do not extend to trying beef heart may substitute any good cut of red meat, though this is not the authentic Peruvian style.