Basic Algebra/Introduction to Basic Algebra Ideas/Translating Words into Math Symbols
- The sum of two unknown numbers can be written as x+y
- The difference of two unknown numbers can be written as x–y
- The quotient of two unknown numbers can be written as x/y
- The product of two unknown numbers can be written as x*y
Keep in mind that x+y is the same as y+x and x*y is the same as y*x.
However, x-y is not the same as y-x, and x/y is not the same as y/x.
Put links here to games that reinforce these skills.
1. John collected 14 cans. Tim brought in 10 cans. Suzy got 3 cans from her house and 15 more from her father's work.
2. Billy broke a stick into 3 pieces. The first piece of the stick is 53 cm long. The second piece of the stick is 29 cm long.