Wikijunior:North America/United States/Wyoming
The State of Wyoming is a sparsely populated state in the western region of the United States. The majority of the state is dominated by the mountain ranges and rangelands of the Rocky Mountain West, while the easternmost section of the state is a high altitude prairie region known as the High Plains. While the tenth largest U.S. state by size, Wyoming is the least populated. The capital and the most populous city of Wyoming is Cheyenne.
Wyoming is separated into three distinct sections geographically. The southern and eastern parts of the state are mostly hilly semidesert, while the northern and western parts are mostly densely forested mountains, and the area within the Yellowstone Caldera is composed of patches of forest alternating with large geyser basins.
- The state bird is the Western Meadowlark
- The state fish is the Cutthroat Trout
- The state flower is the Wyoming Indian Paintbrush
- The state grass is the Western Wheatgrass
- The state mammal is the American Bison
- The state reptile is the Horned Lizard
- The state tree is the Plains Cottonwood
- The state dinosaur is the Triceratops
- The state mineral is Nephrite
- The state motto is Equal Rights
- The unofficial state soil is Forkwood