Wikijunior:North America/United States/Rhode Island
Rhode Island is a state in the New England region of the United States. It is the smallest U.S. state by area. Rhode Island borders Connecticut to the west, and Massachusetts to the north and east, as well as New York by sea to the southwest. Rhode Island was the first of the thirteen original American colonies to declare independence from British rule and the last to ratify the United States Constitution. Its capital is Providence, which is the third largest city in New England.
- The state bird is the Rhode Island Red Chicken
- The state Fish is the Striped Bass
- The state flower is the Violet
- The state insect is the American Burying Beetle
- The state mammal is the Morgan Horse
- The state reptile is the Painted Turtle
- The state tree is the Red Maple tree
- The state beverage is Coffee Milk
- The state mineral is Bowenite
- The state motto is Hope and the slogan is "Unwind"
- The state rock is Cumberlandite
- The state ships are the Courageous and the USS Providence
- The state fruit is the Rhode Island Greening