Using Ubuntu Linux/Introduction for new users
If you are new to computers, what you will learn in this manual will be a heavenly "dream come true" introduction to cutting edge computing technology. But first, you must learn what a computer is.
If your peers have told you that "part of everyday computer maintenance involves running an antivirus", or that "computers crash all the time and are so difficult to maintain", disregard that. As someone who knows new users, these problems don't apply with regards to what you'll learn in this manual.
Ubuntu is a GNU/Linux based operating system and is also a derivative of the Debian GNU/Linux operating system. Essentially what this means is:
- The Linux kernel is constantly developed by thousands of developers, paid or voluntary
- Ubuntu is constantly developed by thousands of developers, paid or voluntary
- Ubuntu will always be free (unless Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, does not receive sufficient funding)
- Ubuntu receives numerous updates on a daily basis
- The Ubuntu community offers free support
- You are welcome to contribute to Ubuntu in any way you feel you can help