Transformative Applications in Education/Overview
Does Technology Improve Learning?
For over thirty years, educators have developed technology applications to improve student learning, but research has not not identified significant, replicable advantages for students who use technology compared to those who don't. While many studies do report significant learning advantages using technology, they are often small, flawed, or biased studies. In contrast, the results of several major studies suggest that much technology software may not produce significant gains compared with traditional classroom instruction.
What Does the Research Say?
Wenglinsky , for example, ...
Alternative Applications for Teaching & Learning
Can an Application be Transformative?
Characteristics of Transformative Applications
The Opposing View
Saul Rockman, Meteri Group, Dale w/ West Va Study
- Effectiveness of Reading and Mathematics Software Products (U.S. DoE Report, 2007 - Executive Summary, pdf
- Effectiveness of Reading and Mathematics Software Products (U.S. DoE Report, 2007 - Full Study, pdf
- Milken Family Foundation Research on Educational Technology (2000 and earlier)
- ^ Wenglinsky, H., Using Technology Wisely: The Keys To Success In Schools, 2005.
- ^ Mann, D., Shakeshaft, C., Becker, J.D. & Kottkamp R., West Virginia Story: Achievement Gains from a Statewide Comprehensive Instructional Technology Program 1999: What impact does technology have on learning, Milken Family Foundation, 1999.