Jump to navigation Jump to search
Questions[edit | edit source]
Here are a few of the questions that the Rabbis raised about this Torah reading:
- Are vows good or bad?
- What is the Biblical basis for the law of the dissolution of vows?
- Does God vow? If so, is God bound by the vow?
- May one annul a vow on the Sabbath?
- Why did the Israelites pillage the Midianites?
- Did the Reubenites and Gadites have an honorable reason to settle outside the Land of Israel?
- How can one honor the command of Numbers 32:22 that “you shall be clear before the Lord and before Israel”?
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Mishnah Avot 3:13; Jerusalem Talmud Nedarim 9:1; Babylonian Talmud Nedarim 22a, 59a; Numbers Rabbah 22:1.
- Mishnah Chagigah 1:8; Babylonian Talmud Chagigah 10a.
- Babylonian Talmud Bava Batra 74a, Berakhot 32a; Exodus Rabbah 43:4.
- Mishnah Shabbat 24:5; Babylonian Talmud Shabbat 157a.
- Numbers Rabbah 22:8.
- Numbers Rabbah 22:7, 9.
- Babylonian Talmud Yoma 38a.