Teaching Elementary School Health Education/Personal Health and Physical Activity/Rest and Sleep
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rest is a period of relaxation. A person can be awake or asleep and be resting.
- Sleep is a state of deep relaxation in which there is little movement or consciousness.
Adequate rest and sleep are essential to keep mentally alert, maintain a good disposition, stay physically well, and maintain proper growth.
Types of Sleep[edit | edit source]
- Rapid Eye Movement (REM) is the deepest stage of sleep.
- Nonrapid Eye Movement (NREM) period of sleep in which the eyes are relaxed.
The Need for Sleep[edit | edit source]
Inadequate sleep and sleep loss can have serious effects.
- Increased risk of unintentional injuries
- Low grades and poor school performance
- Negative moods
- Increased use of stimulants