Sport Innovation/AFL Bid/AFL Criteria/ Governance structure
During August 2008, the CG Continuum had appointed Guy Mckenna as the head coach. In October 2009 his coaching contract was extended until 2012. On the 15th May 2009 it was announced that Travis Auld, previous Essendon administrator, would be the CEO of GC17. Shaun Hart and Marcus Ashcroft were appointed to the coaching panel. Since moving to the Gold Coast from Geelong, Gary Ablett was appointed captain in January 2011. Since the Gold Coast football Club was starting from the beginning, the club needed players. During the 2009 Draft, the Gold Coast was allowed to recruit 12 players born between January and April 1992. During the 2010 season, the Gold Coast football club was given the following concessions allowing them enough players to commence the following year
• ability to sign one uncontracted player from each of the 16 AFL clubs
• zone access to 5 Queensland players prior to the AFL draft
• First pick in every round plus additional first picks at number 2, 3, and 5, 7, 1, 13 and 15 of the 2010 AFL draft.
• The capacity to pre-list 10 players who had previously nominated for AFL draft or were previously listed with an AFL club.
• First 5 selections of the rookie draft
• An expanded main list of 48 players (clubs are usually allowed 38)