Jump to navigation Jump to search
- I'm gonna try to configure a printer and make testing print in this chapter.
- Just I wanna say that I never made it on Linux before so it's my first time and effects can be vary.
- I used my old printer Panasonic KXP-2130 connected to an USB port.
- I have screenshots in polish in this moment only, sorry.
Configuration[edit | edit source]
- CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) is a configure printers application for Unix-like systems
- and it's available to run from any web browser.
- 1. sidux has ready to use script, to run it go to: Menu-> Settings-> configure-cups.
- Give root password - it'll run Iceweasel web browser.
|Running Iceweasel or any application with root privilege is dangerous and not recommended, the application should be opened in an user mode|
- 2. In this case I suggest to run a web browser (in an user mode) and type address in:
- a. Click on: Add Printer
- b. Type your user name and password: 1.png
- c. If your printer is connected directly to your computer, choose: Local printer,
- if it's shared printer in local network, choose: Local shared printer.
- I connected my printer as: Local printer-> Unknown. 2.png
- d. In next step give: a name (yours), discription and localization - as you want. 3.png
- e. Choose your printer maker's name from the list. 4.png
- f. And its version (I didn't find my one). 5.png
- g. It can be used "PPD" file instead of that but you have to find it yourself in the web typing:
- PPD printer_name version.
- h. Check a page settings to be printed (default). 6.png
- i. And finish configuration, a testing page can be printed now. 8.png, 9.png
Printing[edit | edit source]
- When the printer has been configurated, make a print from a file.
- 1. To do that open a text file using a text editor, a web browser or any application and choose: Print.
- 2. Second way to make printing is marking a file to be printed and choosing from mouse menu: Send to-> Printer.
- 3. It'll open XFCE4 printing window-> click on: Print. 11.png
Re-configuring[edit | edit source]
- If you made a mistake with configuration, just configure it again.
- 1. Open a web browser and type the same cups address as last time.
- 2. Choose: present connection - if your printer is still connected. 13.png
- 3. Choose correct name and version of the printer and follow the istruction as above. 12.png
- CUPS home page: http://www.cups.org/
- About CUPS on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_UNIX_Printing_System