- Java is a programming language known as Java Virtual Machine lets runninig applets
- (applications) on computers or web browsers.
- It's indispensable element for running applications such as OpenOffice.org or Jalbum.
Installation from repositories
- Installation of proprietary Java version with it's web browser plug-in:
apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
- When installator finish downloading it'll display the licence, just scroll it down to the end of it and agree typing "yes".
Installation from package
- 1. If you don't want to install Java from repositories. then:
- a. Download "self-extracting file" from: java.com.
- b. Move the package to: "/usr/lib/jvm" folder.
- c. Go to "/usr/lib/jvm" folder using Terminal as root:
- d. Check is the package there:
- e. Install it typing "yes" on the end of the licence:
- f. Create Java plug-in symbolic link to web browser plug-in folder:
ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-version/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
- g. You can make symbolic link using Midnight Commander, just mark "libjavaplugin_oji.so" and then choose
- File tab-> SymLink to "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins" folder.
- Open source Java version installation:
apt-get install openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib
- and it's web browser plug-in:
apt-get install icedtea6-plugin
- After installation you can check is your Java installed correctly or is the latest version: java.com
- Java home page: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/index.html
- And on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_%28programming_language%29