Sidux/Useable applications/Graphic environments
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Writing the book I was working on XFCE graphic environment which is one of two supported by sidux
- developers, the second one is KDE.
- But sidux is in 100 % compatible with Debian so I can't see any reason to not try others environments.
KDE[edit | edit source]
- KDE contains applications such as:
- a. Konquror - web browser
- b. Dophin - file manager
- c. K3b - CD/DVD burning studio
- d. Digikam - graphics files organizer and editor; supports digital cameras as well
- e. KMail - e-mail client
- f. Kopete - multi-messenger
- g. Amarok - audio player
- h. Kaffeine - video player
- i. KTorrent - BitTorrent client
- You can install KDE in two different ways:
- 1. Download sidux LiveCD "Lite" or "Full" version from project side: http://sidux.com/module-mirrors.html and make new installation from beginning.
- 2. Or install it with existing environment "Lite" version:
apt-get install kdelite
- or "Full" version:
apt-get install kde-full
- 3. Next re-boot your system and choose on screenspash: Sesssion-> KDE.
- 4. You can set KDE as primery environmet or run it for one session only.
- KDE home page: http://www.kde.org/
- About KDE on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_Desktop_Environment
- Add-ons for KDE: http://www.kde-look.org/
XFCE[edit | edit source]
- 1. If have you been installed sidux with KDE before and want to install XFCE as a second one:
apt-get install xfce4 thunar-archive-plugin xfce4-mixer xfprint4 orage xfce4-terminal desktop-base xscreensaver xfwm4-themes
- 2. After that log out and log in choosing; Sessions-> XFCE.
- 3. You can install sidux with XFCE from a CD of course too.
- 4. XFCE has applications such as:
- a. Thunar - file manager
- b. Mousepad - text editor
- c. Xfmedia - audio and video player
- d. Xfburn - CD/DVD burner
- e. Orage - simply calendar
- f. Ristretto - graphics files viewer.
- XFCE home page: http://www.xfce.org/
- On Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfce
- Add-ons for XFCE: http://xfce-look.org/
GNOME[edit | edit source]
- Next graphic environment (not supported by sidux but supported by Debian) is GNOME.
- It is a large environment (like KDE) with many applications such as:
- a. Nautilus - file manager
- b. Evolution - e-mail client
- c. Epiphany - web browser
- d. AbiWord - text processor
- e. Brasero - CD/DVD burner
- e. Ekiga - VoIP telephony client
- f. Gimp - raster graphics editor
- g. Pidgin or Empathy - multi-messenger
- h. Totem - video player
- 1. "Lite" version installation:
apt-get install gnome-core gnome-audio
- 2. Or "full" version:
apt-get install gnome gnome-audio
- 3. After installation just log out and log in as before.
- GNOME home page: http://www.gnome.org/
- GNOME on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME
- Add-ons for GNOME: http://gnome-look.org/
LXDE[edit | edit source]
- LXDE is a very light environment designed for older computers.
- It has applications such as:
- a. OpenBox - window manager
- b. LXPanel - desktop panel
- c. PCMan - file manager
- d. Xarchiver - archivizer
- e. GPicView - graphics viewer
apt-get install lxde
Others[edit | edit source]
- FluxBox: http://www.fluxbox.org/, on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluxbox
- Enlightenment: http://www.enlightenment.org/, on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlightenment
- IceWM: https://ice-wm.org/, on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IceWM
- Openbox file manager: http://openbox.org/, on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openbox
- WMmaker file manager: http://www.windowmaker.info/, on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_Maker
- Xpde: http://www.xpde.com/