Sidux/Useable applications/Download managers
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A download manager is an application that helps you to download files faster (especially big ones); it re-starts downloading after breaking connection.
- Wget is a kind of console applications but you can use GUI for it called Gwget.
- 1. Installation:
apt-get install gwget
- a. Run it from: Menu-> Network-> Gwget Download Manager.
- b. Copy downloading file link from a web browser.
- c. Add it to Gwget
- and wait for finishing.
- 2. For KDE there is KGet Download Manager as a part of the environment.
- Wget home page: http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/wget.html
- More about Wget on Wikipedia: Wget
- Gwget home page: http://projects.gnome.org/gwget/
- Gwget on Wikipedia: GWget
- KWget on KDE home page: http://www.kde.org/
- KGet on Wikipedia: KGet
- Small but system independent applications works with Java.
- 1. Download "OSIndependent" file from: http://qdown.sourceforge.net/ and extract it.
- 2. Get in the new created "OSIndependent" folder in Termial as an user and run it:
java -jar QuickDownloader.jar
- Firefox web browser add-on install from: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201/
- Running the add-on first time just choose download folder
- and click on "Start".
- Home page: http://www.downthemall.net/
- It's another Firefox add-on and it makes downloading 10 times faster as the add-on maker says,
- install from: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10615/
- Home page: http://www.fireaddons.com/