Selling Property/Licensing/United States/New Hampshire

From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Flag of New Hampshire

In the state of New Hampshire, the first thing you have to do is take courses preparing you for the State and National Real Estate exams. Even if you study independently, proof of 40 hours of training from an accredited training class is necessary before the New Hampshire Real Estate Commission will allow you to take the test, per New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated 331a.

At the NH Real Estate Commission website, there's a list of accredited instructors that can prepare you for the test, be prepared for an investment of several hundred dollars, both for the courses, books you'll need to study from, and for the test dues to the Commission.

The class consists mostly of how to take the test rather than what is necessary to be a Real Estate agent, particularly the two portions, the National and State parts.

There are 100 randomly selected questions on the National Portion, along with 5 more questions in the National Portion that are added within the test, but not counted. The 5 extra questions are within the test, but you, as a test taker do not know which ones are which.

The State Portion is similar, but smaller, with 40 questions along with 5 phantom extra questions like the National Portion. However, the state portion deals solely with issues regarding state law in regards to Real Estate practices (90% of which is dealt with in RSA 331a), as well as the makeup of the New Hampshire Real Estate Commission and some of the bylaws of local Realtor boards.

In order to pass the test, you need to get a 70%(70 National Questions or 30 State Questions) on each portion, although each portion is scored separately, you could pass one and not pass the other and then just have to take the part you failed over again.

Upon successful completion of both tests, you are issued a license to practice Real Estate within the State of New Hampshire, as detailed in RSA 331a. If you wish to practice Real Estate in other states, you only need to take the State Portion tests within their states, similar to the New Hampshire State Portion taken during your initial licensure.

Licenses are held under the aegis of a person with a Broker's license, usually the owner of a Real Estate Agency or the head of a satellite branch of a Real Estate Agency.

External links[edit | edit source]