This script is used to summarize dynamic insights and stories told by the group. It also allows for clarification of fuzzy ideas and helps capture additional information about structure that is needed to formulate the model.
Primary nature of group task:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Time required during session: 15 minutes
Follow-up time: 0 minutes
- Chalk/whiteboard markers
- Flip chart/whiteboard
- Data projector
- Prioritized list of variables
- Behavior over time graphs (reference modes)
- Reflector with expertise in system dynamics
- The reflector presents a series of diagrams created during the group discussion.
- Diagrams will either be drawn on a whiteboard or modeled in Vensim.
- The diagram is presented in the simplest form. More complex versions with additional variables are progressively revealed on top of the first diagram. As the reflector reveals each iteration of the model, he/she presents the story behind the diagram.
- The reflector may add variables to the diagram at the group’s request.
- Unclear ideas have been clarified
- The group has a better sense of the variables and causal relations needed to complete a model
First documented by Annaliese Calhoun in 2010; based on Luna-Reyes et al. (2006).
Luna-Reyes, L. F., Martinez-Moyano, I. J., Pardo, T. A., Cresswell, A. M., Andersen, D. F., & Richardson, G. P. (2006). Anatomy of a group model-building intervention: Building dynamic theory from case study research. System Dynamics Review, 22(4), 291-320.
Although the script is designed to be a presentation, listening to the group and using the pen and the eraser continue to be important during the process.