School Science/Mercury cleanup

From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
< School Science
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Skull and Crossbones.svg

Mercury and most of its compounds are extremely toxic. Spillage requires specific cleaning procedures to avoid toxic exposure. Inhalation and contact with the skin are dangerous. If you are handling mercury in a school and you spill some you should follow your school's procedure. This will almost certainly involve immediately contacting a teacher or other member of the staff.

Under no circumstances should you try and clean up a spill with a broom or vacuum cleaner. These can cause the mercury to disperse into small droplets or become vapour - both of which are more dangerous.