Ruby on Rails/Built-In Rails Tools/What is Rake anyway?
Rake is a Ruby build tool like make and Ant.
- Rakefiles (rake’s version of Makefiles) are completely defined in standard Ruby syntax. No XML files to edit. No quirky Makefile syntax to worry about (is that a tab or a space?)
- Users can specify tasks with prerequisites.
- Rake supports rule patterns to synthesize implicit tasks.
- Flexible FileLists that act like arrays but know about manipulating file names and paths.
- A library of prepackaged tasks to make building rakefiles easier.