From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Proton Therapy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- Loma Linda; 2004 PMID 15508084 -- "High-dose proton beam radiotherapy of hepatocellular carcinoma: preliminary results of a phase II trial." (Bush DA, Gastroenterology. 2004 Nov;127(5 Suppl 1):S189-93.)
- Phase II. 34 patients, unresectable HCC, T1-4N0M0. Child-Pugh score <=10. Average tumor size 5.7 cm. PT 63 CGE/15 over 3 weeks. Median F/U 1.7
- Outcome: 2-year LC 75%, OS 55%. Declining AFP 85%. 6 liver transplant, 2 no residual HCC
- Toxicity: small decrease in albumin and increase in bilirubin, 3 duodenal/colonic bleeding
- Conclusion: Majority responded to treatment, and it was well tolerated.