Radiation Oncology/CNS/Miscellaneous CNS
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rare, benign lesions, with high recurrence rate. Thought to be derived from leptomeningeal melanocytes. Contain melanin pigment. Usually positive for HMB 45, Melan A, vimentin, and S-100. May recur as melanomas and may metastasize.
- Review: PMID 15160350, 2004 — "Therapy of meningeal melanocytomas." Rades D et al. Cancer. 2004 Jun 1;100(11):2442-7.
- Reviewed all published literature since 1972. 89 pts included.
- Demographics: 46 spinal cord, 43 brain. Median f/u 5 yrs.
- Overall recurrence rate 37%. 24% after complete resection (CTR), 0% after CR + RT, 78% after incomplete resection (ITR), 24% after ITR + RT. For ITR + RT, dose response for local control (86% for 45-55 Gy vs 27% for < 40 Gy)
- Conclusions: complete resection should be performed when possible. Incomplete resection should be followed with RT, approx 45 Gy.