Neo-Quenya only has a definite article `B i and it is unchangeable.
A word in the singular without article is translated with an indefinite article.
- `Vj$5 elen "a star"; `B `Vj$5 i elen "the star"
- `Vj$5% eleni "stars"; `B `Vj$5% i eleni "the stars"
With the dual number the article is translated as "both":
- 9ÍCqE1 hyapat "a pair of shoes"; `B 9ÍCqE1 i hyapat "both shoes"
The article isn't used with following words:
- Nouns that have a pronominal ending:
- aY`C5Ì# coanya "my house"
- Nouns in the partitive plural:
- `Cm#j% aldali "some trees"
- Nouns with a demonstrative pronoun:
- t#aTj iG5# macil sina "this sword"
- Proper names:
- `C5#6 Anar "the sun"
- Names of peoples:
- `Vm#6 Eldar "the Elves" (but note `B `Vm#6 i eldar is possible when referring to a particular group of elves)
The article `B i can also be used as a relative pronoun, but this is treated in the page on Pronouns.
>> Neo-Quenya >> Article