The popularity of a programming language is one factor that people consider when choosing a language for a task or a project. Beware that even a good programming language can be unpopular.
The popularity of Python can be determined with the help of various indices, which are not identical to the real popularity in the real world. While the statistics are linked from the external links section below, it is advisable that you use them with a grain of salt.
Python is the main scripting language used by Google, per Google Python Style Guide.
Python is embedded in various software packages to support their extensibility and automation, including Gimp and Inkscape; see also Wikipedia's W:Python (programming_language)#Uses and W:List of Python software#Embedded as a scripting language.
- Tiobe index, tiobe.com
- PYPL PopularitY of Programming Languages, pypl.github.io
- RedMonk rankings, redmonk.com, combines Stack Overflow data with GitHub data
- The 2015 Top Ten Programming Languages, spectrum.ieee.org, 2015
- W:Measuring programming language popularity
- W:Programming languages used in most popular websites
- W:Python (programming_language)
- W:List of Python software
- Google Python Style Guide, google.github.io
- Python Success Stories, python.org
- Organizations using Python, wiki.python.org