The Burpee, also known as the squat thrust, is rumored to have developed in maximum security prisons. In such facilities, inmates are not allowed exercise equipment, and thus the burpee was developed by the prisoners to keep themselves in good physical condition.
- Stand straight up, with your hands at your sides.
- Bend your knees into a squat position, then fall forward, placing your hands on the ground, into the push-up position.
- Hop your feet backwards, and fall forward into a push-up position.
- Perform a push-up. At the highest point in the push-up, hop your feet back towards your hands and explode upwards in a jump, powered by your legs. Jump as high as possible.
- Clap your hands together over your head at the highest point in the jump.
The terms "burpee" and "squat thrust" are sometimes used interchangeably, however, squat thrusts lack the jumping component of burpees.