Openbravo POS/Administrator Guide
To do the changes below make sure you are running as Administrator.
The interface uses similar elements in all the panels.
|First||Previous||This. Edits the selected item||Next||Last||Reload||Find||Sort (an A, Z and an arrow)||New (a blank paper with an orange star)||Delete (the red cross)||Save (a floppy disk)|
Setting up your Stock
On the left side of the Screen are some menus for you to select from. Let's set up the taxes first. Under “Administration”, click “Stock”, and then “Taxes”. Here you can set up tax bands that will later be associated with products. This allows taxation calculations to be performed automatically.
- The first tax is already set up. You can edit the Name (to something like exempt, for example) or the Rate.
- After you are done, save using the save button.
- If you want to delete a tax, you can click on the delete button
- You can add more taxes by clicking on the new button
The second thing you'd want to do is to setup your categories. Managing the catalog consists of setting up categories and adding products to those categories. Note that
- Categories cannot be nested
- Products can belong to at most one category
Under “Administration”, and click “Stock” again, and then click the button that says “Categories.” You will notice that the interface is very much alike to that of the taxes screen. Here you can define several categories under which you can fit your products.
- Figure out how you want to categorize your items. This is key to avoid problems later.
- The ID needs to be numeric. It is suggested making each category an increment of 100.
- You can also add pictures for each category, this field is, however optional.
- Make sure you save after each category.
After you have made all of your categories, you will need to type in your products. “Administration”, “Stock”, then “Products”.
- Once again, each item must have it’s own unique reference. Products can have anything as reference, not just numbers.
- Figure out how much each individual item costs you, if you do not know, type in some number below what you are selling it at. This is required, so you need to type in a number to make the program happy. You can give it as many digits as you like.
- For “Sell price”, enter the amount that you intend to sell the item at (before taxes).
- Select the tax and the category this product fits in (optional).
- You can also set up the product's minimum and maximum stock under the stock tab.
- On the Properties tab you can set wether the product is displayed on the catalog. If you select the Catalog checkbox, the product will appear in to system users when they select the appropriate category (only if it has an image)
Change the default ticket
Create a resource
In LibrePOS much of the advanced configuration is managed from the resources panel rather than with a GUI. Such is the case for the Tickets
To change the default ticket you must go to the Resources Panel and create a new resource of type text with the name Printer.Ticket LibrePOS uses Apache Velocity to parse the XML templates. The reference to Velocity contains further information for the syntax used.
Editing the ticket
The default ticket template can serve as a good starting poing. The default ticket template as of 0.22 can be found on this forum post
Editing the image
The default image can be changed by adding a new resource of type image on the resources panel. The resource must be named Printer.Ticket.Logo The image types supported vary by printer. Most thermal printers support them, and most dot-matrix ones don't. The image must be 256 px wide at most.
To remove the image from the ticket you have to edit the Printer.Ticket resource and remove the references to the Printer.Ticket.Logo resource
Editing the roles
For editing the permissions you would have to create a new role and edit the permissions in there. The format used is an XML file which describes the forms to which the role has permission to access. The default template for the administrator role, which can serve as inspiration can be found on the following forum post
Go to “Configuration” under Administration and Select “Users”
Click on the icon with the flower on it to add a new employee. (I recommend adding yourself first). Type in the name under “Name”, and then select their role. You want them to be visible, so leave that alone.
As far as roles go, make sure you give yourself the role of “Administrator.” Now you can go two ways. You can either make your employees “User” or “Manager.” If you give them “User”, they will only have access to the sales and the will not be able to “Close-cash during the night, or pull up a shopping list for you. However, “Manager” will give them this access.
Personally, I recommend “Manager”. You can give them passwords, but they can do this for themselves as well. Also, I recommend that you delete the default Users (“Administrator”, “Employee”, “Guest”, and “Manager”) or at least turn off their visibility. That way each employee must log on as themselves.
If you need reports that are not available in LibrePOS you'll have to make your own. It is not that hard, however, you will need some SQL knowledge on most cases.
- Gather info about your database from LibrePOS's sidebar: System:Configuration>Database. You'll need all the information under the Database heading, including the password. (Btw, you'll have to create another username if you intend to have LibrePOS open at the same time as when you run reports.)
- What kind of report do you want?
- What do you want to be on the report?
You can use any of the SQL Queries already made.
Reporting from the Command Line
Here we are retrieving the information from the database using the command line tools. Remember SQL is case sensitive, even in Windows. LibrePOS's tables are all in uppercase
For postgres installations:
To run in Windows, save this as filename.bat and simply double-click it:
"c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin\psql.exe" -U username -d tinapos -c "SELECT * FROM stockdiary;"
To create a file that you can import into (for example) excel, add this to the end:
For MySql installations:
mysql -u username -p --execute="SELECT * FROM stockdiary;" tinapos
You'll need to replace "username" with a real username and "tinapos" with the database name (tinapos is default). You will be prompted for a password after you hit enter.
Extremely Easy. Once the server connection has been added, go to tools, Query Tool. You simply need to paste the query into the box.
iReport. iReport is a tool that helps to visually create reports. LibrePOS' reports are created on this tool.
iReport makes easy to create printable information, as it offers a feature to export to pdf and several other formats by default. For further information you can check the iReport documentation
Easy. click on the SQL button and enter the query. It will return a table with the results. phpMyAdmin can also export to excel, making the data selection easier if you are used to that kind of tools.
Cannot create a new record
If you reuse an ID you will receive the error message
Notice: Cannot create a new record.
If you select the Information button from the error dialog, you should see the following message
net.adrianromero.data.loader.DataException: java.sql.SQLException: Unique constraint violation: in statement [insert into CATEGORIES (ID, NAME, IMAGE) values (?, ?, ?)]
This is the database's way of telling you that you have reused an ID value.