OpenSCAD User Manual/DXF Extrusion
With the import() and extrusion modules it is possible to convert 2D objects read from DXF files to 3D objects. See also 2D to 3D Extrusion.
Linear Extrude[edit | edit source]
Example of linear extrusion of a 2D object imported from a DXF file.
linear_extrude(height = fanwidth, center = true, convexity = 10) import (file = "example009.dxf", layer = "fan_top");
Rotate Extrude[edit | edit source]
Example of rotational extrusion of a 2D object imported from a DXF file.
rotate_extrude(convexity = 10) import (file = "example009.dxf", layer = "fan_side", origin = fan_side_center);
Getting Inkscape to work[edit | edit source]
Inkscape is an open source drawing program. Tutorials for transferring 2d DXF drawings from Inkscape to OpenSCAD are available here:
- http://repraprip.blogspot.com/2011/05/inkscape-to-openscad-dxf-tutorial.html (Very simple, needs path segments to be straight lines)
- http://tonybuser.com/?tag=inkscape (More complicated, involves conversion to Postscript)
- http://bobcookdev.com/inkscape/inkscape-dxf.html (Better DXF Export, native support for bezier curves)
- http://www.bigbluesaw.com/saw/big-blue-saw-blog/general-updates/big-blue-saws-dxf-export-for-inkscape.html (even better support, works as of 10/29/2014, see link below registration window. Note: As of 6/17/15 only works with version 0.48.5 or earlier of inkscape, due to a breaking change made in 0.91.)
- http://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-any-2D-image-to-a-3D-object-using-OpenSCAD/ (Convert any 2D image to a 3D object using OpenSCAD)
- http://carrefour-numerique.cite-sciences.fr/fablab/wiki/doku.php?id=projets:de_inkscape_a_openscad (French, directly exports OpenSCAD file)