Native Oberon supports SoundBlaster and compatible cards and equivalent on-board sound controllers. A true SB card can be detected automatically.
You have to edit the Sound.Audio group in Oberon.Text. To determine the correct settings required:
- for an ISA card, consult the documentation which came with the card
- for a PCI card, execute PCITools.Scan
The preset values are:
Port = 220H IRQ = 7 see IRQ LowDMA = 1 the DMA channel for byte transfers HighDMA = 7 the DMA channel for word transfers (16-bit) compatible = -1 -1: true SB (autodetect); and for compatibles: 0: SB1.5; 1: SB2.0; 2: SBpro; 3: SB16 Other values are invalid.
- Wave.Panel GUI for playing / recording Wav files.
- Au.Panel GUI for playing / recording Au files.
- CDAudio.Panel GUI for playing audio CD-ROMs - currently not supported.
Modern sound cards include a mixer. Depending on the ancienty of the sound card, a different mixer type (DSP) or none is available for which Oberon offers a corresponding custom GUI:
The 2.3.6 release had separate IDE driver modules for hard disk and audio CD (a bad design for historical reasons). For the beta and alpha releases, the IDE driver was rewritten to support more modern IDE (ATA) drives, but the audio part of the CD driver has not been done yet. So the beta and alpha releases do not support the CDAudio panel.