Micronations/Starting your own micronation/Independence

From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The basics of independence[edit | edit source]

According to the 1933 Montevideo convention "The state as a person of international law should possess the following qualifications: (A) a permanent population; (B) a defined territory; (C) government; and (D) capacity to enter into relations with the other states." However, in practical terms, recognition as an independent state requires other independent states to agree with this status. The best way to get recognition from major countries is for a state to join the UN. For an "island state" a good way to be recognized would be to join SIDS

Note: the United Nations Conference on the Law Of the Sea (UNCLOS) does not recognize artificial islands as holding island status although no restrictions have been on artificial islands constituting the territory of a state.

Who Owns the Ocean?[edit | edit source]

The Zones:

  • Internal Waters: These are any bodies of water that are above the low-tide mark, such as rivers and deep bays. You can do anything here. These are within your territory in all respects, and you can expel other countries' ships from here even if they do not pose a risk to you because anyone passing within these waters without express permission is trespassing. (However, some countries have agreed to allow ships free passage through some rivers to allow landlocked countries access to the sea.)
  • Territorial Sea: The 12 nautical miles about a territory are usually under the exclusive control of a state and all activities are permitted, most notably harvesting minerals and fishing. Any other countries' ships can pass through without danger, as long as they do not threaten you in any respects. You can regulate other countries' ships' activities here. You can expel other countries' warships, but in peacetime that is usually considered unnecessary.
  • Contiguous Zone: Another 12 miles past the border of the territorial sea, you can enforce your customs, immigration, and sanitation in this area. You can also engage in Hot Pursuit, or chasing lawbreakers.
  • Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ): You can do any kind of fishing and mineral exploration here. You are trusted to use it wisely. This zone extends as far as 200 nautical miles, making exceptions for countries that are closer together. All natural resources in this area are yours and yours only, unless agreements have been made to the contrary.
  • The High Seas: This extends beyond the EEZ, and anyone can do anything here, unless it is prohibited by international law. The mineral resources out here are for anyone that can extract them.

Note: the United Nations Conference on the Law Of the Sea (UNCLOS) does not recognize artificial islands as having sea territory, although artificial island are allowed to have a 500 Meter safety zone.

External Links[edit | edit source]

  • www.un.org/Depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/unclos_e.pdf -complete document of UNCLOS.
  • cdn.vanderbilt.edu/vu-wp0/wp-content/uploads/sites/78/2019/07/12052304/Imogen-Saunders.pdf -article on artificial islands constituting territory.