Megauniversity/Korea National Open University

From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Introduction[edit | edit source]

Geography[edit | edit source]

The Korean peninsula extends southward from the northeastern section of the vast Asian continent, spanning 1,000km north to south. To the north, the Korean peninsula is contiguous to the northeastern part of China and Maritime Siberia along the borderlines formed by the Amnok(Yalu) River and the Tuman(Tumen) River. To the west across the Sea of Japan lie the Japanese Islands, as if breaking the Pacific Ocean. And the South Sea encircling Korea's southern coast os open to the Pacific Ocean.

National Traits toward Education[edit | edit source]

The Korean people have made major investments in education. One of the most striking attributes of Korean parents is their strong commitment to education. Education has contributed to the internalization of the new values of the Korean people by giving them future orientation and instilling a sense of commitment to modarnization and citizenship.Education has also provided a means of mobility upward through the hierarchical order of society based on meritocracy, and the expansion of educational opportunities have made it possible for every member of society to aspire to higher status.

Korea National Open University[edit | edit source]

Korea National Open University[edit | edit source]

Korea National Open University is the first university in South Korea which performed distance education, and the number of students is 100,000 or more Mega university. It begins to participate also in the international exchange of distant education actively, and is specified by Asian Association of Open Universities; AAOU president school in 2002, and the central position of international exchange is borne. It grows up to be a Mega university which faculty 21 subject of study, graduate school 6 subject of study, and 200,000 students study now, and the status steadfast as a leading distant education organization is established even in Asia.

Curriculum[edit | edit source]

This curriculum consists of the faculty program which is a regular degree course, a whole life graduate school program, and "the program of only subject completion" and "the teacher-oriented comprehensive educational training program" which are non-degree courses. The lecture using television broadcasting and a teleconference system in a lesson, and a cyber-lecture.

Students situation[edit | edit source]

The straight number of the attendance at school exceeds 200,000 people from the latter half of 1990's on an average. The graduates increase in a ratio of 20,000 annual averages continuously.

A learning method[edit | edit source]

In Korea National Open University, they use a TV lecture, a radio lecture of the education broadcast(EBS), a recording lecture, an Internet lecture as main Medea for self-learning.

Evaluation[edit | edit source]

They perform evaluation by the task to submit all over the term and the final examination. The task to submit all over the term holds 30% of the whole evaluation, and the final examination holds remainder 70%.

e-learning[edit | edit source]

There are an organization carrying out e-learning called the cyber education support center and an organization for planning and studying called the Institute for remote education. Through such an organization, let contents development and lecture administration function for stability. The future problem for development of e-learning is how you realize Internet lecture administration corresponding to the attendance student of the large-scale lecture.

Reference[edit | edit source]

Asia's Educational Edge Yugui Guo Lexinhton Books 2005
Education in Korea Ministry of Education Ministry of Education Republic of Korea
鄭 仁星, 久保田 賢一, 羅 馹柱 & 寺嶋 浩介 (2006). 遠隔教育とeラーニング. 東京: 北大路書房.