LPI Linux Certification/System Recovery
Detailed Objective (202.2)[edit | edit source]
(LPIC-2 Version 4.5)
Description: Candidates should be able to properly manipulate a Linux system during both the boot process and during recovery mode. This objective includes using both the init utility and init-related kernel options. Candidates should be able to determine the cause of errors in loading and usage of bootloaders. GRUB version 2 and GRUB Legacy are the bootloaders of interest. Both BIOS and UEFI systems are covered.
Key Knowledge Areas:
- BIOS and UEFI
- NVMe booting
- GRUB version 2 and Legacy
- grub shell
- boot loader start and hand off to kernel
- kernel loading
- hardware initialisation and setup
- daemon/service initialisation and setup
- Know the different boot loader install locations on a hard disk or removable device.
- Overwrite standard boot loader options and using boot loader shells.
- Use systemd rescue and emergency modes.
Terms and Utilities:
initwith SysV init
- The contents of
- EFI System Partition (ESP)
- UEFI shell
- Master boot record