LMIs in Control/pages/H stabilization
There are a wide variety of control design problems that are addressed in a wide variety of different ways. One of the most important control design problem is that of state feedback stabilization. One such state feedback problem, which will be the main focus of this article, is that of -Stabilization, a form of -Stabilization where the real components are located on the left-half of the complex plane.
For this particular problem, suppose that we were given a linear system in the form of:
where and . Then the LMI for determining the -stabilization case would be obtained as described below.
In order to obtain the LMI, we need the following 2 matrices: .
The Optimization Problem
Suppose - for the linear system given above - we were asked to design a state-feedback control law where such that the closed-loop system:
is stable, then the system would be stabilized as follows.
The LMI: -Stabilization
From the given pieces of information, it is clear that the optimization problem only has a solution if there exists a matrix and a symmetric matrix that satisfy the following:
Given the resulting controller matrix , it can be observed that the matrix is -stable.
- Example Code - A GitHub link that contains code (titled "HStability.m") that demonstrates how this LMI can be implemented using MATLAB-YALMIP.
- D stabilization - Equivalent LMI for -stabilization.
A list of references documenting and validating the LMI.
- LMI Methods in Optimal and Robust Control - A course on LMIs in Control by Matthew Peet.
- LMI Properties and Applications in Systems, Stability, and Control Theory - A List of LMIs by Ryan Caverly and James Forbes.
- LMIs in Systems and Control Theory - A downloadable book on LMIs by Stephen Boyd.
- LMIs in Control Systems: Analysis, Design and Applications - A book co-authored by Guang-Ren Duan and Hai-Hua Yu.