LMIs in Control/pages/Delay Independent Time-Delay Stabilization
Stabilization of Time-Delay Systems - Delay Independent Case
Suppose, for instance, there was a system where a time-delay was introduced. In that instance, stabilization would have to be done in a different manner. The following example demonstrates how one can stabilize such a system independent of the delay.
The System[edit | edit source]
For this particular problem, suppose that we were given the time-delayed system in the form of:
Then the LMI for determining the Time-Delay System for the Delay-Independent case would be obtained as described below.
The Data[edit | edit source]
In order to obtain the LMI, we need the following 3 matrices: and .
The Optimization Problem[edit | edit source]
Suppose - for the time-delayed system given above - we were asked to design a memoryless state-feedback control law where such that the closed-loop system:
is simultaneously both uniform and asymptotically stable, then the system would be stabilized as follows.
The LMI: The Delay-Independent Stabilization of Time-Delay Systems[edit | edit source]
From the given pieces of information, it is clear that the optimization problem only has a solution if there exists a matrix and 2 symmetric matrices and that satisfy the following:
Conclusion:[edit | edit source]
Given the resulting feedback gain matrix , it can be observed that the matrix is asymptotically stable while simultaneously ensuring that the solution is delay-independent from the time-delay system where this gain matrix was derived.
Implementation[edit | edit source]
- Example Code - A GitHub link that contains code (titled "DelayIndependentTimeDelay.m") that demonstrates how this LMI can be implemented using MATLAB-YALMIP.
Related LMIs[edit | edit source]
- Delay Dependent Time-Delay Stabilization - Equivalent LMI for delay-dependent time-delay stabilization.
External Links[edit | edit source]
A list of references documenting and validating the LMI.
- LMI Methods in Optimal and Robust Control - A course on LMIs in Control by Matthew Peet.
- LMI Properties and Applications in Systems, Stability, and Control Theory - A List of LMIs by Ryan Caverly and James Forbes.
- LMIs in Systems and Control Theory - A downloadable book on LMIs by Stephen Boyd.
- LMIs in Control Systems: Analysis, Design and Applications - A book co-authored by Guang-Ren Duan and Hai-Hua Yu.