International Postage Meter Stamp Catalog/Guernsey
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Guernsey[edit | edit source]
- A dependency of Great Britain, Guernsey’s own meter stamps did not appear until 1969. Before that date British stamps with “GUERNSEY/ CHANNEL ISLANDS” (or “CI”) in the town mark were used.
- All franks contain “Guernsey” and a map of the Channel Islands.
- Guernsey, along with the rest of the UK, converted to decimal currency on 15th February 1971. This required existing machines (which registered in £sd) to be converted, a process which commenced in June 1968. Although existing models prior to 1971 used £sd, new models designed for decimalisation had the value shown in pence only (without the "D" suffix). Examples with the value in pence but dated prior to 15th February 1971 would fall into this "transitional" category, with values shown in "old pence" prior to that date and "new pence" thereafter. Examples in pre-decimal currency (£sd) are much scarcer than decimal stamps.
GROUP A: Stamps from machines used by private businesses[edit | edit source]
GROUP PO: Stamps from machines used in Post Offices[edit | edit source]
- PO1.1. Unidentified (digital).
- Post Office machine stamp.
- Printed on self adhesive label with square corners.
- "A" Printed on a label with a red, yellow and blue checkerboard design across the top and the "GUERNSEYPOST" logo at lower right.
- The point-of-sale data is applied in black and reads from top town:
- - Date and time
- - ID number
- - (optional) Postal class in one or two lines
- - destination
- - Weight
- - Payment made by customer
- - Amount of postage (if any) pre-affixed to the mail piece
- - Total paid
- With a line of dashes below "Weight" and below "Affix" and a double line of dashes below "Total".
- V/F: £0.00
- PO1.2. Unidentified (digital), 2010 or earlier.
- Similar layout to Type PO1.1 but with differences in the font, e.g. the number "0" has a central dot.
- Printed on various labels bearing the "GUERNSEYPOST" logo at top left. The labels are printed tête-bêche and show portions of the designs of commemorative stamps at bottom right:
- "2010A" The Adventures of Penny the Postie
- "2011A" Alderney Hawkmoths
- "2011B" Penny and the Dragon
- "2012A" Endangered Species - Tiger
- "2012B" The War of 1812 - Sir Isaac Brock
- "2013A" Endangered Species - Panda
- "2013B" Guernsey Marine Life
- "2014A" Alderney Ladybirds
- "2014B" The Year of the Horse
- "2015A" Stories from the Great War - Poppy
- "2015B" The Year of the Goat
- "2016A" Guernsey Cow
- "2016B" Toilers of the Sea
- "2016C" The Year of the Monkey
- Dates above are based on the date of issue of the associated commemorative stamps.
- More designs are likely to exist.
- V/F: £0.00